About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Community Liaison will serve as liaison between UMass Amherst Center for Community Health Equity Research (CCHER) and local collaborators in Springfield, MA. The Center aims to address a critical research gap between identifying the fundamental causes of health inequities and developing population-wide solutions. The Community Liaison will report to the Director of the Center for Community Health Equity Research. The person in this position will be responsible for facilitating relationships between community-based health equity research initiatives at UMass Amherst and community-based collaborating organizations in surrounding communities, especially Springfield and Holyoke. The position requires a strong understanding of the principles and practices of community-based research, broad and deep familiarity with community-based public health organizations, and strong organizational skills.
Please note - this position is contingent upon grant funding.
- Identify and cultivate new community research partnerships under the supervision of the CCHER Director. Build, strengthen and sustain relationships with community organizations to support the Center's efforts to reduce health inequities. Consult with the School of Public Health and other UMass Amherst researchers to identify their needs and interests and match those with interested community-based organizations. Identify research interests of community organizations and match these with CCHER members and other UMass Amherst faculty.
- Assist the MPH Practicum Coordinator with placement of SPHHS students in internships as appropriate. Co-supervise graduate research assistant(s) and intern(s) as needed.
- Represent the UMass Center for Community Health Equity Research at campus, statewide and community health equity-related events.
- Direct the tasks and membership of the Center’s community advisory committee. Ensure regular communication and follow-up and completion of assigned project tasks. Coordinate meetings (and other events), including reserving meetings space, drafting agendas, confirming attendance, taking detailed minutes, and arranging food/drink as appropriate.
- Develop and update the Center's webpage and deliver external communications. Research local health equity-related events and publicize via the webpage and email list.
Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Public Health 2 years’ experience in community-based public health.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Experience with community-based research, data collection, management and analysis.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse communities, researchers, faculty, administrators, and others.
- A valid driver's license and reliable transportation for travel to meetings at partner sites.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Products.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Monday – Friday work week.
Required to work some nights and weekends.
The position is exempt, PSU Level 27.
See: Salary Schedule, PSU
Special Instructions to Applicants
To receive priority consideration, please apply online by submitting a resume with an accompanying cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references. The priority deadline is January 22, 2019. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.