About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Responsible for approving, auditing, and processing all campus travel submissions. Responsible for processing non-standard Accounts Payable (A/P) transactions.
1. Pre-audits and post-audits campus travel expense reports and related travel documents submitted by departments on all fund types for compliance to University policies, proper authorization, accuracy and adequate documentation retention.
2. Approves electronic travel submissions for payment and resolves budget errors and other impediments to facilitate timely payment.
3. Communicates, provides updates, and answers questions for faculty, departmental staff, and other employees regarding travel related questions and Accounts Payable processing.
4. Resolves processing issues related to credit card payment and Payroll reimbursements by collaborating with Human Resources and Procurement.
5. Processes disbursement vouchers for reimbursements as well as credit card payments for Amherst Foundation employees.
6. Maintains security by authorizing departmental travel preparers to enter expense reports for specific employees.
7. Resolves Accounts Payable processing problems. Processes high importance payments and transactions including refund checks, stop payments, match exceptions, corrections and payments subject to tax withholding.
8. Oversees A/P document scanning and workflow. Trains and assigns document scanning work to staff and students. Monitors document workflow assignments and adjusts backlog as needed.
9. Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school graduate with two (2) years office or bookkeeping experience.
- Ability to make arithmetic computations accurately and quickly.
- Ability to type and operate a desktop computer and related office machines.
- Ability to follow moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to interact with employees, students, vendors and general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of clerical office practice, including office record keeping.
- Ability to adjust to changing situations to meet emergencies.
- Ability to perform other like duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
• Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
• Knowledge of University accounting systems and University accounting forms.
• Knowledge of University financial data entry systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Individual must be able to work efficiently and effectively during high stress situations.
Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
$20 per hour
Special Instructions to Applicants
For priority consideration please apply by February 15th with a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.