About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service operation including: cooking, cleaning and serving food. The basic purpose of this work is to perform cooking tasks and assist with cleaning and food serving work as needed. May be required to operate a cash register to make cash sales transactions.
- Cooks food in large quantities by following recipes and standard operating procedures. May be required to perform display cooking as assigned.
- Reads computer generated recipes and menus for the preparation of simple meals.
- Cleans cooking equipment, work areas, food areas, counters, floors, food carts, trays, furniture, utensils, dishes, pots and pans by scraping, hand washing and machine washing.
- Peels, chops, washes and cooks foods for simple dishes.
- Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts, transports food to serving areas and serves food to diners.
- Assists other food services staff with the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Roasts, fries, boils, broils and seasons meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods required for daily meals.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes.
- Uses kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare soups, salads, desserts, dressings, gravies, sauces, and stews.
- Operates cutlery, grinders and slicers to prepare and portion food for cooking.
- Evaluates food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature and taste by tasting and observing to determine proper freshness, preparation and portioning.
- Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at proper temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Communicate with Cook I, Cook II and Cook III employees to report food and menu problems.
- Makes coffee.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage, and places them in designated containers.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to cook a variety of simple meals and to assist in the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the handling and serving of food.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability to use kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide training, work assignments and functional supervision to student employees.
- Ability to give oral and/or written instructions in precise and understandable manner.
- Willingness to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Ability to read and understand recipes.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
May require balancing, carrying, pushing/pulling, repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, sitting, twisting, and or lifting.
Will vary; may include weekends and holidays
Level I ($12.00-$15.00 per hour)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.