Employee/Labor Management Relations Generalist
Job no: 497852
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Categories: Human Resources
Reporting to the Senior Director of Labor Relations, the Employee/Labor Management Relations Generalist will have primary duties that include the resolution of grievances pertaining to collective bargaining agreements, employee concerns, and potential disciplinary matters. The incumbent will administer human resources policies and procedures and the University’s various collective bargaining agreements and will provide support and guidance to managers and employees. S/he may participate in collective bargaining and impact bargaining with University Unions, prepare research and analyses related to collective bargaining and will provide guidance in the interpretation of collective bargaining agreements and University policies and procedures. The Employee/Labor-Management Relations Generalist will work with supervisors, managers and HR colleagues such as Customer Solutions Representatives when performance management and/or employee discipline may be warranted.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide guidance to managers and employees on the interpretation of provisions of the collective bargaining agreements;
- Responsible for reviewing employee grievances and working to resolve issues; meet with relevant employee(s) and supervisor(s); gather information and evaluate allegations; may serve as hearing officer, as directed;
- Ensure adherence and compliance with contractual requirements in conducting disciplinary hearings;
- Prepare Notice of Discipline, in conjunction with supervisors and managers, as assigned;
- Provide support to managers and supervisors on evaluating potential disciplinary matters, counseling employees and developing performance improvement plans;
- Participate with another employee/labor relations professionals in formal and informal labor-management meetings with bargaining units for discussion and resolution of issues of mutual concern;
- Participate in collective bargaining negotiations, as assigned;
- Research current labor and employee relations policies, procedures and best practices and provide information to the Senior Director for review and consideration;
- Provide updates to the Senior Director of Labor Relations on outstanding grievances and disciplinary cases; prepare written responses and reports on other labor and employee relations issues as assigned by the Senior Director of Labor Relations;
- May work independently and/or collaboratively in investigating, developing, and preparing witnesses, documentation and back-up information for grievances, arbitrations, and other employee relations matters;
- Serve as employer spokesperson in labor-management meetings;
- Serve as employee relations/labor management relations representative on committees, as assigned;
- Provide additional support to the Senior Director of Labor Relations area, as directed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of one-three years of experience in employee relations, labor relations, human resources and/or legal support required.
- Experience in a higher education union environment, working directly with labor issues preferred;
- Knowledge of the general principles of labor/employee relations, methods, practices, and techniques of collective bargaining;
- Knowledge of federal and state labor and employee relations laws;
- Knowledge of administrative software applications, Microsoft Office, with the ability to learn and use other software applications and database tools as required;
- Able to analyze labor relations issues, obtain relevant information through fact-finding and research, identify solutions/recommendations and provide timely advice;
- Ability to accurately manage sensitive and confidential information;
- Ability to research, compile and analyze information and prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence;
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful/ intense interactions with others;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently, with limited supervision;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with deadlines and with strong attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in developing, applying and interpreting contracts, regulations, guidelines, and procedures;
- Ability to take initiative and to work both independently and within a team setting;
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to present materials in a coherent and persuasive manner;
- Ability to interact effectively with people of diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds;
- Ability to handle sensitive employee-related information;
- Skill in negotiation and persuasiveness, with the ability to generate consensus and reconcile differences;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, organizational and project management skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong judgment and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend