Technical Assistant III - Student Affairs Technology Services
Job no: 498181
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Technology Services
Pay Grade: 15
Categories: Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provides technical and administrative support and data reporting and analysis for the systems and databases in Student Affairs and Campus Life (SACL).
- Perform data administration and application and operational support
- Using various reporting tools such as PeopleSoft’s Query tool, Crystal Reports, basic SQL, and third party application report tools, develops reports, data files, statistical summaries, pivot tables etc. Reviews data/report requests for compliance with University and Student Affairs policies. Analyzes data to help inform process decisions. Audits and validates reports before they are distributed.
- Interfaces with various university departments to collect input information for data processes, and coordinates and communicates scheduling and timelines for these processes.
- Assists with modifications to existing reports/queries to support adhoc data requests. Documents common report definitions and usage.
- Updates and validates configuration screens for Student Affairs applications. Applications include, but are not limited to: Room Selection, Auto Assignments, Move-In Reservation, Self-Service Check-In, Room Condition Forms, New/Transfer Students, Arrival/Departure uploads.
- Executes and validates routine data operational processes in PeopleSoft system of record, and in custom and third party applications. Maintains documentation related to operation processes.
- Participate in new implementation and upgrade activities
- Tests applications during new implementations and upgrades. Creates scenarios and expected outcomes, runs test cases, documents and reports errors to technology staff. Validates fixes to data and application errors.
- Participates in database activities such as business process review and documentation, user interface design, usability analysis, testing and implementation.
- Researches and troubleshoots issues related to Student Affairs applications. Communicates with technical and business counterparts to resolve issues, plan and test corrections.
- Performs card access and security business processes and operational procedures.
- Provides assistance for students and staff concerning residence hall card access. Resolves issues and documents problems and solutions.
- Assists with electronic access and security system database management functions, such as data imports and exports, queries and cardholder, clearance and door schedule updates.
- Perform Application/Database Security functions.
- Adds, removes, updates and documents staff access to applications/databases based on defined roles; review access requests for compliance with University and Student Affairs policies; trouble shoots and resolves issues with access and accounts; performs and documents annual user access audits
- Adds, removes, updates, employees in time and attendance database; trouble shoots and resolves issues with employee configuration
- Participate as a member of Technology Services staff
- Acts as secondary backup for other operational tasks performed by staff in the Applications and Operations team.
- Actively participate and engage in staff meetings, project/planning topics, departmental functions and on work teams.
- Maintain a positive attitude; model inclusiveness, respect and responsibility.
- Understand, communicate and follow University and SACL policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Values diversity in the workplace and helps create a multi-cultural environment.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate’s Degree in Computer Technology or Technical Program Certification or equivalent combination of education and training.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in an office administration, computer application support or technical role.
- Experience in coding, testing and debugging reports using end-user reporting tools.
- Must possess strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with reporting tools such as Crystal Reports, Microsoft Access, basic SQL and advanced Excel functions.
- Ability to execute pre-defined data operational tasks.
- Ability to plan and execute application test cases.
- Ability to troubleshoot data issues related to user applications.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet applications, and graphics programs.
- Knowledge of basic HTML
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently without formal training.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Experience working in a customer-oriented environment. Ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships in a diverse staff and customer community.
- Strong organization and documentation skills. Ability to attend to details, prioritize, maintain accuracy, follow through on detailed tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of Student Affairs and Campus Life business, values, priorities, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of information systems in a large university setting, and specialized knowledge of Student Affairs related applications.
- Knowledge of security and card access systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical Office Environment
- Must be available for scheduled and emergency overtime work to include holidays and weekends for critical and high profile business operations.
- Monday through Friday; 37.5 hrs/wk
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend