Student Employment Assistant
Job no: 500566
Work type: Staff Part Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Financial Aid Office
Pay Grade: 15
Categories: Administrative & Office Support, Administrative/Office Support, Classified Staff Union (CSU)
The part time Student Employment Assistant will be responsible for the processing of pre-employment paperwork and employment eligibility paperwork for student employees. The incumbent will act as a liaison between Human Resources Payroll and Student Employment in verifying and processing student employment eligibility; and will assist in monitoring award limits and employment eligibility of Federal Work-Study and CC/Institutional student employees to assure that students remain eligible.
The Student Employment Assistant will also address all problems related to student employment eligibility for student positions, and will contact supervisors, students and/or Payroll to resolve these issues; and will identify and develop systems to prevent issues that are re-occurring. The incumbent is also responsible for performing routine administrative support duties, including but not limited to coordinating mailings to supervisors and student employees; maintaining office supplies; keeping student employment files current; and providing Assistant Manager and Assistant Director with administrative support.
Examples of Duties:
- Process, input, update and file pre-employment paperwork and employment eligibility paperwork, including I-9’s and tax withholding forms for student employees; process, input, update and file employment eligibility paperwork (e.g. Student Personnel Action Forms) for all student employment positions, including verification of appropriate department accounts, wage rates, job descriptions, start and end dates, Federal Work-Study eligibility, and other relevant information;
- Address all problems related to student employment eligibility for student positions and work with department supervisors, students and the Payroll unit in Human Resources to resolve such issues;
- Process work-study timesheets for students employed within the department and Off-Campus work-study agencies;
- Provide routine administrative support for student employment services; provide front desk coverage; answer routine phone and email inquiries; coordinate mailings; maintain office supplies and student employment files;
- Assist students with employment inquiries on job search, employment policies and procedures, required paperwork and payroll related issues;
- Process employment verification requests on student employees;
- Assist with job postings for on- and off-campus employers;
- Assist in all aspects of coordination for the student employment job fair;
- Participate in campus wide events, such as Open House and Welcome Day, as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Incumbent must have at least four (4) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time experience in office work. General knowledge of financial aid and employment eligibility is preferred.
- Knowledge of the types and applications of standard office filing systems;
- Knowledge of clerical office practices and procedures, including office record keeping, office correspondence and the types and uses of office equipment;
- Knowledge and experience with data entry and computer software packages, including spreadsheets, databases and word processing;
- Ability to understand, explain and apply the laws, rules, policies and procedures governing the assigned unit activities;
- Ability to receive and follow supervision through oral and written instructions;
- Ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures;
- Ability to work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols;
- Ability to file material in accordance with standard filing procedures;
- Ability to maintain accurate records;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to work in a team setting and deal tactfully with others;
- Ability to deal effectively with a diverse student and client population;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional work references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Bi-Weekly Salary: $1,023.67
Part time, 60% time. 22.5 hours weekly. Clerk V.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend