About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The ADVANCE-IT team at the University of Massachusetts Amherst is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work with an interdisciplinary team on an NSF ADVANCE Institutional Transformation Project. The project is entitled "Collaboration & Equity: the Resources, Relationships, and Recognition (R3) Model.” The team is focused around interventions in diversifying and supporting collaborative research, creating inclusive communities, and ensuring shared decision-making by providing resources, helping develop relationships, and ensuring recognition for collaborative work.
Duties will include:
- Conducting a literature review to identify best practices in support of our interventions.
- Supporting interventions on campus.
- Conducting research on the impact of the interventions.
- Sharing findings about the interventions through presentations and publications co-authored with members of the research team.
- Creating toolkits based on successful interventions, for use at other universities.
- Assisting the PI or co-PIs in other activities associated with the ADVANCE project.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Applicants for the 2-year postdoctoral position should have a PhD in higher education, social science, or related fields and been academically active for no longer than 4 years.
- A track record of publications in social science.
- Experience using quantitative and qualitative social science research methods.
- In-depth understanding of gender, race, and nationality biases in STEM fields and the related scholarly literature.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Applicants should also be able to work effectively with diverse groups and have strong technical report writing, communication, and facilitation skills.
Commensurate with experience.
Please submit a letter of application, CV, contact information for 3 professional references, and a writing sample. We will begin reviewing applications on July 8, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Start date is September 1, 2019. For questions contact Joya Misra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.