Discovery and Systems Development Librarian
Job no: 501060
Work type: Faculty Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Healey Library
Categories: Librarians, Library
The Healey Library Systems and Discovery Services Department is responsible for library core system infrastructure and the discovery services that support research, scholarship, teaching and learning, and student academic success at UMass Boston. Reporting to the Head of Library Systems and Discovery Services, this position works collaboratively with staff within the department, as well as with other departments in the Library and across campus, to support and enhance the user experience and operational efficiency related to the discovery systems and library applications.
The Discovery and Systems Development Librarian develops, enhances and supports Library’s discovery and access applications and services; evaluates Library discovery and access services and leads the Library’s usability efforts; adapts new and existing web tools to improve the user experience with Library's discovery and access applications and other online services/platforms.
The Discovery and Systems Development Librarian will play a key role in enhancing Library’s enterprise systems and optimizing integration with third-party systems and applications in order to enable quality services and efficient workflows and meet the needs of the diverse user community. They provide the technical expertise needed for the development, integration, and support of a wide array of library systems, applications, and services; develop custom library applications that enhance and create efficiencies within library operations for library patrons and back-end functions; help analyze, design and implement library systems infrastructures and user interfaces; explore new technologies to identify opportunities for effective application, including the potential integration with other university and library systems; assists the administration and maintenance of ILS and other applications; participates in the development and assessment of a broad range of library technology initiatives and plans.
The ideal candidate should have a good understanding of library services related to resource discovery and management, including discovery tools, link resolvers, inter-library loan, and integrated library systems. They should possess a thorough understanding of web application development and current web technologies with broad knowledge of library metadata standards. They also should have good time management skills and ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently; flexible and adaptable to a changing environment with excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
Examples of Duties:
- Designs, develops and maintains user interfaces for the discovery and delivery of library services and collections;
Develops and implements procedures to integrate and maintain library systems with campus, university, or third-party systems and applications;
- Utilizes available APIs and web services, develops or modifies API scripts as needed, for data retrieval and system integrations with third-party applications and systems;
- Facilitates analytic reporting from various systems and uses a variety of software tools for the extraction, manipulation, and visualization of data for use by various systems;
- Prepares and maintains logs, reports and statistical data to assist the Library in maximizing data-driven decision making;
Performs record loads and configures new collections and data sources and works to integrate records from disparate systems into the discovery system;
- Researches, recommends and adopts standard and emerging tools, techniques, methods and applications to improve efficiencies and provide new services to library patrons;
- Administers, configures and maintains ILS and other applications as assigned;
- Conducts continuous evaluation and enhancement for Library search, discovery and access experience for all library users;
- Troubleshoots problems reported by library staff, and, when needed, follow up with vendor support staff;
- Participates in research, development and other library information technology-related projects as needed;
- Performs security reviews, code and system updates, and backup and recovery processes for related library applications;
- Documents workflows and standards related to all aspects of the library systems, services, and related applications;
- Provides written documentation and related training on library applications and services;
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent;
- Minimum two years of professional experience working with library systems in an academic or research library;
- Meets five or more of the preferred qualifications for the position.
- Experience supporting and developing one or more library discovery interfaces (such as Primo, Summon, EDS, OCLC FirstSearch, or WorldCat Discovery);
- Experience with Ex Libris’ Primo and Alma and OCLC’s WorldCat Discovery is highly desirable;
- Experience with web application development in a Unix/Linux environment;
- Experience with JSON and AngularJS preferred;
- Understanding of Web Services such as REST, SOAP, and other XML-based APIs;
- Working knowledge of one or more structured programming languages (PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, etc.);
- Experience with web and user-centered design, assessment methodologies, and usability studies;
- Knowledge of standards and best practices for web accessibility and ADA compliance preferred;
- Understanding of authentication and protocols for search and retrieval, messaging and networking;
- Understanding of library data formats and standards (MARC, Dublin Core, METS, MODs);
- Understanding of digital collection management systems and current access services protocols to access and retrieve digital content (e.g. Z39.50, OpenURL, NCIP, DOI, CrossRef, OAI);
- Experience with Analytics and reporting tools;
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend