About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Social Media Manager executes a communication strategy across multiple social media platforms to effectively deliver integrated and inclusive messages to diverse audiences, promote brand recognition, and reinforce the university’s core values and institutional priorities. Always monitoring social channels, the Manager is a front line communicator with constituents delivering information, instilling pride, and driving support for strategic priorities. The Manager also oversees the university’s social media ambassador program to engage social media influencers and alumni and student volunteers. The Manager collaborates with peers throughout campus and with student groups to coordinate messaging, amplify promotions, and enhance the student to alumni life cycle. Working with campus communicators, the Manager develops best practice guides, online resources, and tool-kits. The Manager also delivers regular reports on performance analytics across earned, owned, and paid media. The Manager employs skills in graphic design, photography, and video to develop social campaigns. Ongoing research, education, and testing of new media tools is required to keep the social strategy current with evolving best practices and constituent preference and behaviors.
- Develop cohesive advancement social media content, calendars, and budgets to supports the university's strategic plan while contributing to the student to alumni life cycle and engagement funnel through earned, owned, and paid promotions.
- Create social media guidelines, policies, and best practices for campus partners and advise on content strategy for each unit.
- Employ innovative and engaging photography, video, and storytelling to build community and increase loyalty across social media platforms.
- Partner with University Relations, campus units, and student groups to optimize news, programs, and services.
- Manage social media channels and provide data-driven insights on the university's social media presence using tools such as Google Analytics, EverTrue, Facebook Pixel, Twitter, Linkedin, and Instagram analytics.
- Articulate ROI and conversions for various paid efforts as part of overall annual communication plan and provide reports evaluating of all performance metrics.
- Provide social media coverage at select events that may occur outside of standard office hours.
- Employ a team of student workers to assist with social media strategy and implementation to strengthen student and young alumni affiliation.
Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree required. English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field preferred.
- Three (3) years relevant experience managing communications, marketing or social media plans, including content development and brand messaging.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, Vine and Google+, and familiarity with associated scheduling tools and reporting services.
- Proven ability to think critically and write clear, concise and compelling content to resonate with intended audiences; portfolio required.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and interview subjects for writing assignments, and to accurately translate technical or scholarly information into common language.
- Excellent editing skills with strong focus on written presentation and grammatical accuracy.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to cooperate and collaborate with a variety of constituents with multiple interests and varying levels of authority and influence.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to work independently and plan, prioritize and manage several projects simultaneously.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Proficiency in developing marketing copy for fundraising or other revenue-generating initiatives.
- Proven video and editing skills, and familiarity with web design, content management systems, mobile applications, and other digital technologies preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Ability and willingness to travel occasionally.
Monday - Friday 8:30 am-5:00 pm. Evenings and weekends as needed.
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and names, email addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references. Priority consideration deadline is July 1, 2019.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.