About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Director, Design & Construction Management, this position is responsible for project management for capital projects utilizing both in-house resources and external consultants.
This position is a 3 year term appointment with a possible 1 year extension.
- Coordinate and manage capital project activities with both in-house resources and outside consultants. Requires ability to access all areas of construction sites including climbing ladders and scaffolding as well as to enter confined spaces to assess conditions and perform inspections of existing condition and/or new work.
- Prepare requests for proposals, review planning and contract documents prepared by outside consultants to ensure compatibility with University standards and requirements.
- Prepare financial analyses and preliminary total project cost estimates. Track and control budgets throughout the course of a project.
- Perform contract administration and manage resident engineers for the construction of a variety of capital projects including new construction, alterations, utility installations and/or site construction projects.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the projects assigned. Communicate effectively with the client, campus constituents, and other affected parties throughout the development and implementation of the project.
- Serve as the University’s representative to the Division of Capital Asset Management, the University of Massachusetts Building Authority, and other state, federal, and local agencies on assigned projects.
- Maintain proficiency in word processing and various computer database systems used in professional project management organizations.
- Prepare and present written, oral and graphic presentations as may be required to support the projects assigned.
- Promote and assure continuous improvement; establish and maintain productive relationships with a full range of personnel that reflect a strong commitment to customer service.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree in architecture, engineering, construction management, or a related field or a Professional Registration as an architect or engineer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or the ability to obtain a Massachusetts registration within one year.
- Five years of experience in design and construction.
- Working knowledge of architecture, engineering, construction management, and design principles, systems, code regulations, and construction practices and the ability to apply this knowledge to complex problems.
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate the work of consultants, contractors, and other connected with this work. Ability to effectively coordinate this work with affected campus constituents.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in word processing, spreadsheets, and other software based systems.
- Demonstrated ability to access any portion of a construction site.
Monday – Friday, First Shift
Link to Professional Staff salary ranges: https://www.umass.edu/humres/sites/default/files/UMass%20Amherst%20Exempt%20Salary%20Ranges_0.pdf
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by July 3, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.