About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Assistant Director for Field Experience and Employer Engagement serves as the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) employer relations coordinator and internship program manager. The Assistant Director will support programming and events at the Amherst and Mt. Ida campuses, as well as other internship program locations.
- Serve as the employer relations coordinator for the SBS Office of Career & Professional Development, including developing and managing employer contacts and event-planning logistics for SBS-sponsored career fairs, at Mt. Ida and main campus.
- Serve as liaison with employer relations staff members at Mt. Ida and in the other UMass Amherst academic schools and colleges to ensure a seamless UMass experience for employers.
- Approve SBS focused jobs and employers in Handshake.
- Develop alumni and employer contacts/manage logistics for existing SBS cohort programs (SBS in Boston/Mt. Ida, SBS in DC) and new programs such as SBS in the Pioneer Valley. Work closely with Assoc./Asst. Directors, who oversee these programs, and with SBS Development office staff.
- Design and manage logistics for SBS in Boston related events at Mt. Ida, to include alumni/student pre-placement meet & greets, end of semester events, site visits, etc.
- Manage employer site visits, and other employer-related exposure initiatives as catalysts for students to participate in internships and as part of the future SBS “career communities” model.
- Manage the SBS Shadows program logistics using the Xinspire platform, including anticipating problems and trouble-shooting for alumni and student participants.
- Serve as point person for alumni speakers/event coordination – Food for Thought lunch series, panels, interviews, etc.
- Provide support for future online course management, both stand-alone, and related to hybrid or fully on-line courses, to be offered for students at Mt. Ida and in other SBS cohort programs.
- Manage internship development initiatives such as the internship registry process to track non-credited internship activity and new SBS internships with an alumni database.
- Act as point of contact for academic departments regarding internship credit questions and other related activities.
- Promote a culture of internships and co-ops for SBS Pathways, with a special focus on developing opportunities where students would be based at Mt. Ida. Serve in a problem solving capacity for both students and employers during internship/coop experiences.
- Provide technical support for the SBS Pathways Program’s CareerPath mobile app, including managing push notifications, gathering data, and following up on milestone completions.
- Manage the SBS First Destination Survey (FDS) outreach plan and collect FDS data and other survey data from students, alumni, and employers for use in reporting.
- Provide content for promoting SBS Career & Professional Development programs to students and alumni/employers, to include promoting opportunities to live on the Mt. Ida campus while doing internships or coops in the Boston area.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources, or any liberal arts field of study and 3 years of work experience in recruiting, talent acquisition, employer relations, or related role.
- Current knowledge of the job market, occupational outcomes for liberal arts majors, and familiarity with recognized job search platforms and hiring practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate goals and objectives to prospective employer partners, students, staff, and faculty.
- Demonstrated project management and program development experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain highly productive working relationships with representatives of corporate and non-profit organizations, government agencies.
- Ability to create collaborative and cooperative relationships with faculty and staff on campus, including other Mt. Ida Internship Coordinators.
- Strong initiative, and the ability to work independently, and as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability and willingness to support student success.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Business, Human Resources, with two years of experience in career services employer relations or talent acquisition for college age.
- Familiarity with employment trends and career opportunities for social science majors.
- Experience with planning and management of events.
- Public speaking experience.
- Advanced computers skills with experience in data collection and reporting.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Travel is required, with some overnight travel. This position will be expected to work occasionally on the Mt. Ida Campus.
M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of July 22, 2019 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.