About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Working specifically with the football program, receive, store, and distribute athletic clothing, equipment, and supplies; maintain inventories and related records of contents in the department equipment rooms; launder practice and game apparel; collaborate with apparel and equipment vendors regarding problems with orders; performs related work as required to ensure the health, safety and well-being of student-athletes.
- Issue clothing, equipment and supplies to student-athletes and staff.
- Clean and service lockers and locker rooms.
- Prepare and maintain inventory records.
- Receive, launder and disseminate practice, workout and game apparel/uniforms.
- Organize uniforms for home and away contests. Pack clothing and equipment for athletic teams for travel to away contests. Coordinates laundry service for away competitions as needed.
- Ensure that clothing and equipment meet Conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Adhere to and execute the department’s apparel and equipment contracts. Develops apparel and equipment orders with coaching staff from season-to-season and as needed. Enters apparel and equipment ordering information into vendor websites. Notify vendors of problems with orders and collaborate with them to resolve problems.
- Receive and distribute packages and goods to athletic staff; prepare packages for shipment.
- Operate motor vehicle to travel to vendors to drop off and pick up apparel, materials and equipment.
- Record all unreturned clothing and equipment. Submit applicable balance due reports to Athletic Business Office for unreturned items from student-athletes. Field calls from parents and student-athletes regarding bills. Develop billing solutions as needed.
- Maintain a clean and organized equipment room and ensure proper storage of athletic clothing, equipment and supplies.
- Set up and break down of practice fields in accordance with coaches’ requirements, including but not limited to proper interpretation of that day's practice plan; properly locating stiles, boards, chutes, sleds and pylons; maintaining proper inflation levels in footballs; etc.
- Foster, build and maintain relationships with coaches, staff, student-athletes, and vendors to ensure equipment needs are met.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of storekeeping methods and practices.
- Experience in fitting, repairing and maintaining all football equipment, especially safety football equipment, to ensure proper fit and performance, including, but not limited to helmets, shoulder pads etc.
- Familiarity with the game of football and practice field set-up required.
- Ability to travel with football team on weekends, nights and holidays.
- Ability to adjust work schedule to meet team requirements.
- Knowledge of operation of industrial washing and drying machines.
- Knowledge of proper techniques to remove stains from apparel and uniforms.
- Ability to make simple arithmetical computations.
- Ability to maintain inventories and keep simple records.
- Knowledge of issuing, fitting, cleaning and maintaining athletic equipment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Physical ability to handle bulky or heavy stock items, equipment, and supplies, up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Prior experience as a football equipment manager at the NCAA intercollegiate level preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Balancing; carrying; pulling/pushing; prolonged periods of standing; bending; travel to other campuses; driving; lifting; nights and weekends required; variable hours depending on the demands of the position; may work in inclement weather; carrying of heavy and bulky items, up to 50 lbs, required;
Hours vary depending on the demands of the position (40 hours per week)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.