Departmental Assistant- Housekeeper (Fall '19)
Job no: 501983
Work type: Hourly
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Auxiliary Services
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Trains all student and/or new employees in cleaning and hotel operations. Directly supervises a staff of student employees.
Participates in general and specific cleaning tasks of hotel guestrooms and public areas; performs related work as required.
- Trains all student and/or new employees in cleaning and hotel operations following department guidelines and procedures for staff training.
- Supervises a direct reporting staff of 5-10 student employees.
- Assists in overall cleaning of hotel guest rooms and public areas including changing beds, dusting, vacuuming and other related procedures to keep these areas up to department standards.
- Assists in cleaning guest room toilets, lavatories and their appurtenances and maintain the necessary supplies to maintain sanitary facilities for hotel guests.
- Reports to the supervisor of accommodation services any maintenance work necessary to maintain the department standards for guest rooms.
- Using department forms, maintain an accurate record of room inventory, lost and found, and anything else noted while cleaning a guest room.
- Checks and stocks from the floor supply closet all supplies provided for in the department’s standard guest room.
- Removes trash and waste from assigned areas and places in designated site to ensure clean and sanitary conditions and the proper handling of recyclable materials.
- Maintains carpeted areas by vacuuming and spot cleaning to prolong life of carpet and maintain a clean and attractive facility.
- Cleans glass and mirrors by washing with glass cleaning solution to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Maintains walls, ceilings, doors and horizontal surfaces by dusting and washing with detergent solutions to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Transports soiled and clean linen to work sites.
- Carries guest luggage to Hotel Lobby and/or guest rooms.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work
- Ability to provide training regarding cleaning and hotel operations.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment commonly used in housekeeping cleaning functions.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to meet designated standard of cleanliness for hotel rooms.
- Physical stamina and endurance to withstand the strain of manual labor.
- Knowledge how to operate a vacuum and power hand tools.
- Knowledge of the standard procedures followed in the storage of custodial and cleaning materials
Varies based on department needs (20 hours or less per week)
Level I (Hourly rate range is $12.00-$15.00)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend