Director of Transportation Services
Job no: 502137
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Parking & Transportation
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Under the supervision of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Campus Services, the Director of Transportation Services is responsible for all aspects of planning, management and operation of the Transportation Services Department. This includes day-to-day management and oversight of the following: all on and off-campus university parking facilities, including maintenance and signage; student, faculty and staff parking pass program; visitor parking pass program; reserved parking program; shuttle bus contract including schedules and bus routes; MBTA student pass program; alternative modes of transportation and transportation sustainability efforts. He/She is also responsible for long-term transportation planning efforts. The Director of Transportation Services is a key staff member within the Department of Campus Services.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide overall leadership and management of all Transportation Services operations, including the day-to-day operations of all on and off-campus parking facilities, campus parking pass program, MBTA student pass program, shuttle bus operations, and transportation demand management programs;
- Manage all parking operations including technology systems and the physical maintenance and repair of parking facilities. Collaborate with colleagues in IT and Facilities as needed to support department operations in these areas;
- Serve as manager of the Transportation Services staff to support the overall mission of the department, develop annual goals, strategic priorities, and customer service standards. Provide regular training programs for staff as needed;
- Responsible for the hiring, training, and supervision of fulltime professional staff, full and part-time classified staff and students, including office and field staff; educate staff regarding the mission of the department and the important role it plays in the daily operations of the campus;
- Responsible for departmental budgets. Lead preparation of annual department budget submissions; provide monthly budget reports and other reports as needed to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Campus Services and others; oversee the development of business plans and all department finances;
- Collaborates with public safety and other campus staff to ensure that all parking rules, regulations, and policies are enforced;
- Maintain and provide regular reports including metrics on parking pass usage, demand and utilization analysis, shuttle ridership counts, revenue and expense reports, etc. Use data to inform operations and suggest operational or policy changes as appropriate;
- Establish policies and programs that ensure efficient use of parking resources, minimal congestion, and a variety of consumer options;
- Supervise and lead staff in managing procurement and financial processes in accordance with university procedures and audit requirements; assist in university audits as required; develop and implement cash management guidelines;
- Manage department contracts and agreements, including parking equipment contracts, shuttle bus contract, Zipcar, bike-share programs, etc.;
- In collaboration with the University’s procurement team, manage development, bidding, and negotiation of contracts with new and existing vendors, such as the shuttle service contract and IPARCs system;
- Advance effective use of technology as related to transportation planning, management, and operations;
- Build and maintain relationships with various external constituents related to transportation planning efforts;
- Develop, amend and formulate relevant policies and procedures in collaboration with the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Campus Services, Administration and Finance, and other university departments;
- Research, develop and maintain up-to-date information about transportation-related best practices and rate structures;
- Partner with and provide subject matter expertise to the Facilities Department in their management of the physical maintenance and repair of parking facilities, including preventive maintenance plans as appropriate;
- Work alongside the Office of Emergency Management, Environmental Health and Safety and Public Safety to plan security and emergency response, including emergency evacuation procedures and continuity planning as appropriate;
- Partner with university marketing in the development of marketing materials, including printed collateral, websites, social media and customer outreach initiatives;
- Participate in university-wide committees and university-wide events, such as Open House, Welcome Days, Commencement, etc.;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required. Experience in managing parking operations required along with a minimum of five-seven (5-7) years of progressively responsible leadership, management, and administrative experience. Supervisory experience and demonstrated success providing active leadership to a complex and large organization is required. Experience working with groups from diverse backgrounds is required. Flexibility concerning extended hours and weekend responsibilities is required.
- Master’s degree;
- Prior business management experience, with the ability to negotiate contracts and business agreements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated expertise in management skills, including assessment, setting priorities, independent decision making, planning, training, evaluation, communication, collaboration, and problem resolution;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other administrative software systems; knowledge of IPARCs systems preferred;
- Ability to lead and supervise staff to reach their full potential;
- Ability to recognize and foster high ethical standards of performance, service, and professionalism among staff;
- Ability to work and interact within a diverse environment and demonstrated awareness of the educational and cultural benefits of multiculturalism;
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and support staff in a diverse and highly collaborative and collegial work environment;
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, independently and with university departments and colleagues in developing and carrying out responsibilities;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize;
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive issues and information;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with ability to produce comprehensive communications, reports, presentations and marketing materials, and establish effective working relationships with all levels of the university and community partners;
- Excellent research and analytical skills sufficient to analyze situations in a multi-faceted way and develop innovative solutions. Ability to conduct both quantitative and qualitative analyses of survey data;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to value-added customer service and excellent performance
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend