About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Assistant Provost & Director of Freshman Admission in Enrollment Management, reads, reviews and renders decisions about admissions to the University. Evaluates information presented by prospective students in support of their applications for admission and determines suitability for acceptance. Admissions readers decide whether admissions candidates should be admitted, deferred, waitlisted, or denied.
- Reviews applications for admissions to the freshman class; evaluates and renders decisions.
- Reviews specialized admissions categories, with unique criterion, special circumstances and the like.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of Admissions goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a multi-cultural environment.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
- Sensitivity to multicultural and socioeconomic issues
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of and commitment to the undergraduate experience at a major research university
- Must be available and willing to work a varied schedule, including evening/weekend work
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Prior experience as an admissions counselor/recruiter, and experience with SLATE
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
- Duration: August 2019 through April 30, 2020
- This is a non-benefited position
Hours per week: Up to 30
Salary: $18.00 - $25.00 per hour, depending upon qualifications.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin on August 22, 2019 and may continue until all vacancies are filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.