Technical Assistant II U of M (MA Pesticide License)
Job no: 502337
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Grounds Departments
Pay Grade: 13
Categories: Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs technical work related to pest and rodent control within and around University owned buildings and land; performs related work as required.
- Participates in the safe application of pesticides on University Owned land and buildings.
- Participates in the safe distribution of chemicals in pest control and other material used in pest control.
- Arranges and plans schedules for pest control in and around University owned land buildings.
- Participates in all phases of pest control including insects, weeds, birds, bats, rodents, snakes, dead animals, skunks, and other vertebrates.
- Makes minor repairs to pest control equipment.
- Orders equipment, pesticides and other materials used in conjunction with pest control.
- Reports on unsanitary conditions of food handling areas, shipping and receiving, and BSL-2 (Biosafety Level -2) and animal facilities areas and any other areas that might be a breeding source for pests and take proper action to rectify the situation.
- Maintains records of all pesticide work performed when using pesticides.
- Maintains daily and weekly time sheets.
- Apply and complies with CMR (Code of Massachusetts Relations) and University policies regarding the safe use, storage, and disposal of pesticides.
- Completes the Annual Pesticide Use Form for the Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau.
- Maintains personal protective equipment in working order.
- May functionally supervise others assisting in pesticide projects.
- Assists in University snow removal operations by operating light trucks, snow blowers, power shovels, shovels, etc.
- Maintains updated copies of Safety Data Sheets on all chemicals used.
- May assist in the application of herbicide as needed on University owned land.
- Performs job responsibilities in an environmentally compliant and responsible manner reflective of Physical Plant policies, procedures and goals relative to environmental compliance and stewardship.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the work place and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Considerable knowledge in the use, storage, and toxicity of pesticides used in pest control work, and the maintenance of equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of the use and operation of equipment used in pest control.
- Ability to meet with University staff, faculty and students and fully explain the proper use and type of pest control work being done according to State and Federal Regulations.
- Some knowledge of arthropod and vertebrate identification.
- Considerable knowledge of safety practices used in connection with materials used in pest control work.
- Ability to pass a pulmonary function test and wear a ½ or full-face negative pressure respirator.
- Possess good oral, writing and record keeping skills
- Familiarity will the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR)
- Ability to understand pesticide labels and material safety data sheets.
- Strong customer services skills
- Ability to wear either a powered air-purifying respirator (PAPR) or a respiratory mask.
- Math skills sufficient to prepare dilutions at correct concentrations.
- Knowledge of the proper use of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance specific to pest control.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk, crouch and climb for long periods of time.
- Considerable knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to pesticide storage, use and disposal.
- High School or trade school diploma.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator's License required at time of hire.
- Class “D” Driver’s License required at time of hire.
- Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau Certification State Code 41
- Must be available for scheduled overtime and callbacks during emergencies.
- Position includes obligation to work overtime and return to work between scheduled shifts when directed.
- Incumbent must ensure service desk is provided with a current phone number for use in callbacks
- This is an essential position within the Physical Plant.
- May be asked to work first shift.
- Participates in Cholinesterase testing as well as additional tests deemed necessary at intervals determined by the University occupational health physician.
Monday - Friday, 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm (40 hours per week)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend