Communication Dispatcher I
Job no: 502665
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: University Police
Pay Grade: 13
Categories: Police, Public Safety, Security
General Summary of Position:
The Communications Dispatcher performs a variety of duties involving transmitting messages from the radio communications base station. S/he monitors various radio frequencies and operates radio transmitting and receiving equipment. S/he will maintain records and logs of department daily activities, search files to obtain information, utilize information equipment in order to facilitate law enforcement and community care taking goals and missions. All finalists will be required to present the following documents: Birth Certificate, High School Diploma or G.E.D./equivalent Certificate and Driver's License.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- High School Diploma or an equivalent G.E.D. certificate
- A valid Driver's License
- Ability to work a varied work schedule including but not limited to nights, weekends and holidays
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must be able to pass a physical and psychological exam
- Must be able to pass a NCIC/LEAPS exam in order to be certified to operate confidential informational electronic search equipment dedicated to law enforcement and community care taking
- Strong communications skills, understand, comprehend and write English
- Previous Dispatching experience preferred
- One or two years of clerical experience and the ability to type and utilize keyboards associated with data entry
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only internal International Teamsters Union Local 25 Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend