Departmental Assistant- Grabell/Deater-Decard Lab
Job no: 503318
Work type: Hourly
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Psychology and Brain Sci
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Categories: Research, Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The College of Natural Sciences (CNS) is seeking applications for a temporary Departmental Assistant position. This position will be working independently to provide support to the Principal Investigator and Graduate Students. Duties include collecting, gathering and processing research data, coordinating subject recruitment efforts, and monitoring general daily lab functioning.
- Independently execute job functions for research protocol(s) including subject recruitment, scheduling appointments and obtaining consent forms.
- Collect and process functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS), behavioral, and questionnaire-based data.
- Coordinate, train, and supervise undergraduate research assistants in general lab functioning, subject recruitment and data collection/processing
- Monitor research project progress, assisting in revising, renewing, and maintaining Internal Review Board (IRB) approval, protocols, and consent forms.
- Maintain a professional and respectful manner with colleagues, supervisors, and study participants.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the College of Natural Sciences (CNS) community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of CNS.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Minimum of one year of work experience in a research project and/or related clinical setting.
- Familiarity with computers and common software packages.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, neuroscience or related research field preferred.
- Working knowledge of research methodology strongly preferred.
- Qualifications acquired on the job:
- Research protocol management
- Collecting functional near-infrared spectroscopy data
- Behavioral testing
- 20 hours per week
- Requires flexibility in work schedule
- $16.35 per hour
- Non-benefited, temporary 1 year position
Special Instructions to Applicants
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend