About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst (http://www.umass.edu/pbs/) is inviting applications for a tenure track, academic year, faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in its Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience Psychology program, starting in Fall 2024.
We are seeking outstanding applicants with expertise in any area of cognitive psychology or cognitive neuroscience, including interdisciplinary fields connected to cognitive psychology, whose work complements and broadens existing strengths in our program.
We are known for interdisciplinary and cross-area collaborations and innovation. The program has current strengths in attention, decision-making, psycholinguistics, and mathematical modeling, with connections to our Behavioral Neuroscience, Clinical Psychology, Developmental Science, and Social Psychology programs. Across the university, our faculty have strong connections to Linguistics, Information and Computer Sciences, and Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, as well as the Initiative in Cognitive Science, the Computational and Social Science Institute, the Institute for Diversity Sciences, and the Institute for Applied Life Sciences.
The Department is interested in candidates who have demonstrated the ability to contribute to the inclusive excellence and diversity mission of the department, college, and university in research, teaching, and/or outreach.
- Maintain a strong record of publishing in high impact peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintain a strong commitment to undergraduate education, graduate training and mentoring, and diversity and inclusion.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the College of Natural Science (CNS) community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology or a closely related field at the time of appointment.
- A developing record of demonstrated excellence in research consistent with an early career stage.
- Demonstrated ability or strong promise of extramural funding.
- Strong methodological skills and a theoretically-based research program.
- A strong commitment to undergraduate education, graduate training and mentoring, and diversity and inclusion.
- Commensurate with experience.
- The University offers a competitive salary with an attractive benefits package.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of contributions and future plans to diversity, equity and inclusion (see below), samples of representative research papers, and contact information for three (3) professional references. We will begin to review applications on October 1, 2023, and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
As part of our commitment to supporting our multicultural community, we seek an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. The statement of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion should identify past experiences and future goals. These contributions may result from lived experiences, scholarships, and/or mentoring, teaching, and outreach activities. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual’s record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic career and degree.