If you are looking for an exciting career and great benefits, look no further!
UMass Dartmouth is the place for you!
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Bursar
DIVISION: Enrollment Management
DEPARTMENT: Bursar’s Office
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 18
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 14
JOB CODE: 0800
REPORTS TO: Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management
SUPERVISES: Associate, Assistant Bursar(s) and Business Service Coordinator with indirect supervision of staff reporting to each.
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $ ESU SALARY RANGES
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits* such as:
- 75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- State Pension Retirement Plan
- Optional Retirement Savings Plans
- Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
- And More
Benefits: Benefits at UMass Dartmouth
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Bursar is responsible for day-to-day operations of the student account receivable and collections, including all tuition and fees for all student programs The Bursar configures, maintains, and supervises the billing process to ensure student accounts are properly maintained; payment plans are arranged; and payments are collected in a timely manner. In the performance of this role, the Bursar must adhere to and maintain accuracy in reporting and compliance with University, Federal and State regulations, including Title IV financial aid, FERPA, and 1098T tax filings, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. In addition, the Bursar position requires general knowledge of the student lifecycle as it relates to Admissions, Financial Aid, Registration, Student Accounts. This includes undergraduate, graduate, Law and Online & Continuing Ed students. The Bursar will implement and maintain policies and procedures related to student financial services and work closely with colleagues throughout the University to ensure the highest level of customer service for our students and positive financial outcomes for the University.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Hands-on leader who provides the highest level of professional, efficient, and responsive customer service to all campus constituencies including students, university departments and external agencies.
- Ability to generate and interpret financial and student account reports.
- Provides leadership, strategic planning project management and organizational direction of the office in support of the University’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring financial integrity and fiduciary responsibility in the billing, receipt, collection and deposit of all revenues, including student tuition and fees, room and board, reconciliation of receipts, disbursements and reporting for financial aid funds, mandatory health insurance (waivers), student loan collections and tax credit coordination.
- Serves as a visible resource to the campus community through regular and frequent interactions with students, parents, faculty and staff, campus departments, and other campus constituents.
- Ensures Bursar’s Office website is maintained regularly with the most up to date content.
- Generates regular communications focusing on student accounts via email, website and any other appropriate means of communication.
- Provides strong leadership and direction to staff ensuring professional development and cross training.
- Develops and maintains procedures and controls to ensure staff members comply with policies, procedures and practices.
- Develops creative solutions and systems to continuously improve the department for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develops internal controls, fiscal reporting and accountability for functions that reside within scope of responsibility.
- Responsible for the operating budget of the Bursar’s Department.
- Represents the University at professional meetings pertaining to Bursar related functions held by University of Massachusetts Treasurer’s Office as well as various external organizations.
- Performs additional duties as required.
EXPERIENCE: Significant leadership experience (over 5 years) as a Bursar, or in the field of cash management or collections
OTHER: Some off-campus travel may be necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Exceptional management and leadership skills including the ability to oversee, motivate, and develop staff.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques involved with cash handling, collections, fund accounting and audit controls.
- Thorough understanding of technologies operating within a bursar department, collections, etc.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Exceptional written and oral, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills; knowledge of business management principles, methods, and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to implement technology solutions in support of customer service success.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service with ability to exemplify judgment and tact in customer service personally, as a supervisor, and as a campus leader.
- Skill in monitoring/assessing the performance of self, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Ability to successfully communicate and work with faculty, students, staff, employers, and professionally represent the University to a variety of internal and external constituencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance
- Seven or more years’ related experience.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Experience and knowledge of the student financial operations in higher education.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is August 4, 2022.
The review of applications will begin August 5, 2022.