OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Assistant Director for Athletics Communications
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU Cat. 12
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 3.2
JOB CODE: 272
REPORTS TO: Athletics Communications Director
SUPERVISES: Supervises 15 to 20 student workers
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $52,756
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits* such as:
- 75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- State Pension Retirement Plan
- Optional Retirement Savings Plans
- Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
- And More
Benefits: Benefits at UMass Dartmouth
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Supports the Athletic Communications Director in the promotion of all facets of the Athletic Department to internal and external constituencies to heighten visibility and expand support for its 19 intercollegiate programs and recreational programming. Collaborates on the designs and production of brochures, game programs, newsletters, and social media posts. Responsible for the gameday statistical operations and promotion of select sports with functional supervision of student workers. Supports the work of the Athletic Communications Director to ensure the responsibilities of the area are effectively covered.
Follow the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the primary contact for 7-8 programs including ice hockey. Responsible for their game day statistical operations. Handles all aspects of publicity for the program and day-to-day media relations.
- Assist the Athletic Communications Director in ensuring the Athletic Communications Department is versed and innovative in all media relations areas, including, but not limited to: press box management, in-game statistics, coordinating video web streaming, photography coverage, and social media engagement.
- Support the Director of Athletic Communications with highly visible and effective social media presence.
- Monitor and track social media engagements, ensure consistent branding and delivery on all accounts, while identifying new social media strategies and emerging technology. Monitor social media engagements and results.
- Edit game highlights, cinematic recaps, hype videos, and featured content for social media including video interviews and press conferences.
- Create programs, gameday/final score and other graphics for social media and website.
- Responsible for training, managing, and scheduling a team of 15-20 student workers who will handle specific gameday operations.
- Assist the Director of Athletic Communications in growing regional network of coverage for the university's athletic programs while working with student-athletes and coaches to increase publicity of the university's athletic programs and academic achievements.
- Support the Director of Athletic Communications in the promotion of games, special events (e.g., conference championships, Corsair Hall of Fame, End of the Year Athletics Banquet), and national initiatives (e.g., Division III Week, National Girls and Women in Sport Day, Diversity and Inclusion Week, National Student-Athlete Day).
- Serve as a key member of the department staff.
- Attend departmental staff meetings and trainings.
- Assist with major events sponsored by the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree
EXPERIENCE: Previous (over 1 years) experience working with media relations/public relations. Internship experience acceptable.
OTHER: Evening, weekend, and holiday hours expected. Local and Regional Travel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must be self-motivated with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with game day statistics for multiple sports.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Computer proficiency and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suites, including InDesign, Photoshop and Spark.
- Experience with Genius/Presto statistical software and website administration (preferably SIDEARM).
- Photography and graphic design.
- Broadcasting experience.
- Able to promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is August 15, 2022.
The review of applications will begin August 16, 2022.