University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Official Job Title: Professional Technician II
Working Title: NMR Manager and Research Support
Department: Office of Research Administration
Bargaining Unit Status: AFT
FLSA SATUS: Exempt
EEO Status: 3.8
Job Code: 196
REPORTS TO: Works under the general supervision of the Director of the Office of Research Administration with delegation for daily oversight to the Chairperson of the Chemistry Department or his/her designee.
Summary Purpose of the Position: Work in and provide hands-on support of all laboratory and studio spaces with faculty, students and staff to assist with compliance, maintenance and operations. The new hire will particularly support the operation and maintenance of the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Facility at Chemistry Department, other core facilities and shared research equipment. The new hire will liaison and receive guidance from the Chair of Chemistry Department, Director of Environmental Health and Safety & Senior Biosafety Officer, the University Compliance Officer and the Director of University Facilities regarding the functioning of the NMR facility, all research laboratories and studio spaces. The new hire also will work closely with faculty, administrators, and university leadership, providing them with hands-on support to see that all laboratories and studios are working in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and guidelines, including but not limited to the Center for Disease Control's Select Agent Rules, OSHA regulations and NIH regulations regarding the care and treatment of animals.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with faculty and students to operate and maintain the NMR facility.
- Provide training on the use of the NMR facility and interpretation of results.
- Manage core research facilities ensuring that university guidelines and procedures are followed, including tracking of use, source of funding for use, operating costs and revenues, and preparing or overseeing the preparation of internal or external invoices to bill for use of core facilities.
- Manage, coordinate and maintain shared research facilities and other facilities, such as analytical equipment.
- Provide daily oversight of all resource activities related to research facility operations, project execution, lab utilization, and or technical activity needed to support UMassD researchers.
- Coordinate and undertake activities to ensure that the required resources are available to support research and are fully functional, including HVAC, lighting, plumbing, sanitation, etc.
- Advise the Deans and the Chief Research Officer on the research laboratory and studio needs of faculty.
- Implement research facility policies, procedures and strategic priorities.
- Maintain an inventory of core facility equipment and provide advice on equipment purchases, improvements to laboratories, center capability improvements, etc.
- Coordinate and maintain building security and access.
- Coordinate with the Director of Environmental Health and Safety to ensure research staff and students receive the required safety training for working in research laboratories.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in biology, chemistry, engineering or a related field with 3 years of relevant research experience or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Significant experience in the use and maintenance of NMR facilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Detailed knowledge of the principle and application of NMR and its related equipment.
- Knowledge of best laboratory practices in diverse fields and of laboratory safety requirements.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Customer service oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of processes pertaining to grants and contracts
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems.
- PhD degree in biology, chemistry, engineering or a related field
- Higher education facilities management experience
- Experience with hazardous materials
- Experience with research animal care
This position requires a background check (including criminal history & credit check). Position requires SRA approval.
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
Benefits: Faculty Federation
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for up to three professional references.
The review of applications will begin December 7, 2022 and will be ongoing.