Job no: 504212
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Pay Grade: 33
Categories: Other Staff Positions, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
Assist the Director of Environmental Health & Safety with the implementation and administration of a campus-wide environmental management program. Provide support for all matters dealing with environmental compliance and pollution prevention. Develop and implement training programs dealing with environmental issues for the campus community. Assist in generation of reports and maintenance of permits for various environmental projects and issues on campus. Coordinate with Facilities on environmental projects, write/review bid specifications and monitor contractors when necessary.
Examples of Duties:
- Assisting with the implementing the campus’s environmental compliance program to satisfy the dictates of EPA, DEP and MWRA, Boston Con Com, BFD and other agencies.
- Develop, and present educational programs dealing with environmental management issues for faculty and staff. Develop and disseminate educational materials.
- Develop procedures, conduct/supervise inspections, prepare/review contract bid specifications, recommend vendor and administer budget to support environmental programs.
- Assist in the preparation of environmental compliance reports such as EPA/DEP Biennial Environmental Compliance Report, annual DEP Air Quality Control Report, MWRA Sewer Use Discharge Permit and EPA NPDES Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMR)s
- Conduct regular inspections of waste accumulation areas, acid neutralization systems, and other areas as necessary.
- Assist in maintaining the Environmental Management System including goal setting, organizing audits, coordinating the EHS annual report and preparing material for the EHS Steering Committee
- Participate in university-wide sustainability initiatives or other university-wide committees as necessary
- Assist in development and maintenance of environmental plans including Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plan, Contingency Plans, Stormwater plan, etc.
- Coordinate with other UMB departments on projects involving potential environmental impacts including hazardous materials and soil.
- Monitor new environmental regulations and best practices.
- Oversee consultants working on environmental projects.
Master’s degree in the environmental sciences, other relevant discipline or equivalent and a minimum of Five to seven (5-7) years of work experience dealing with environmental compliance, preferably in a university or comparable environment:
- A comprehensive knowledge of federal and state environmental regulations.
- Physical requirements include frequent use of computers, and the potential of exposures to chemicals 40 percent of the time, and occasional exposure to noise and harsh weather conditions.
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) and MA licensed Wastewater Treatment Operator, grade 2 and LSP, preferred
- Experience in a diverse, multicultural environment preferred.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend