Hazardous Material Technician
Job no: 504314
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Pay Grade: 31
Categories: Other Staff Positions, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
The Hazardous Materials Technician within the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) is responsible for supporting the radiation, laser chemical and biological safety programs, as well as the environmental management system, including data input into the inventory control system for chemical, radiological and biological materials. The incumbent will be responsible for receiving, bar coding and distributing chemical, radiological and biological materials throughout the campus; will support the collection and shipment of hazardous materials in accordance with state and federal requirements; and may also be involved in routine laboratory inspections; working at the Integrated Science Complex (ISC) loading dock; maintaining the supplies and equipment in the ISC waste rooms; and providing other Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) support services to laboratories campus wide.
Examples of Duties:
- Track radiological material and lasers on campus and update campus laser registration and standard operating procedures as needed;
- Assist laboratory personnel with development of Standard Operating Procedures;
- Inspect radiation and laser laboratories for safety and compliance with regulations;
- Support the Radiation Safety Committee;
- Coordinate training of laboratory personnel;
- Provide occasional support/back up to other OEHS staff with receipt and transport of hazardous materials to end user; collect and transport of laboratory waste and other hazardous materials to the central accumulation site;
- Input data for the web based hazardous materials inventory control system;
- Assist with the maintenance of the UMASS on-line chemical inventory program;
- Participate in the University’s Emergency Response Program/Chemical Spill Response Team in the event of emergencies, especially those involving hazardous materials, including periodic call back or on-call;
- Assist with a wide variety of EHS services in support of research and teaching laboratories;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant scientific discipline and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of progressively responsible experience in the handling of hazardous materials is required (lesser degree and more experience maybe substituted) Specific experience with laboratory, office and facility based populations required. Ability to obtain a Certification in Industrial Hygiene, Certified Hazardous Materials Manager or Certified Safety Professional required. Occasional lifting and moving of heavy drums may be required during hazardous waste pickups. Occasional use of level C chemical protective clothing and respiratory protection will be required.
- Experience in the public sector and with diverse populations preferred;
- Hazardous Materials Technician training in accordance with OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120q preferred;
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other administrative databases;
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and municipal codes and standards that pertain to chemical, radiological and biological materials;
- Ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents, in a diverse and multicultural environment;
- Ability to assess chemical hazards, containing chemical spills and following appropriate emergency response procedures;
- Ability to serve as a member of the Environmental Health and Safety Hazwoper Team, in accordance with OSHA 1910.120q;
- Ability to use respiratory protective equipment and wear Level C protective clothing;
- Ability to lift and move heavy drums, up 50 pounds;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail;
- strong problem solving skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend