Job no: 504431
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UMDI-MassHire Greater Brockton
Categories: Administrative & Office Support
Primary Work Location: 34 School St., Brockton MA
Normal Work Schedule: Standard full time work schedule consisting of five eight-hour days and 40 hours each workweek. Work performed may require a change in availability at specific times to accommodate for variations in work demands. Ability to work flexible hours with some evening and possibly weekend hours.
Job Summary: The Masshire Greater Brockton Career Center is a One Stop Career Center managed by the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI) and overseen under a charter form the MassHire Greater Brockton Workforce Board (MHGBWB). The MassHire Greater Brockton Career Center is located in downtown Brockton and provides employment and training services to job seekers and businesses.
The Career Navigator is responsible for working with individuals referred from the Neighborhood Works Housing Solutions Section 8 voucher program to help them identify a long-term (up to five years) career path that fits with available jobs in their region with good wages, benefits and opportunity for advancement. The Career Navigator supports the individual to identify any training or education needed, assist with accessing those education and training resources, and then through the employer relationships of the Career Center, support the individual to find a job, provide post-employment transition, and as desired by the individual, ongoing career-path coaching.
Essential Functions: The specific duties of the Career Navigator include:
- Meet with referred individuals from the Neighborhood Works Housing Solutions Section 8 voucher program to complete an assessment of interests and needs.
- Partner with the individual to create a five-year action plan building a career path with goals and identifying the steps required to meet the goals.
- Support the individual to make progress on their action plan through ongoing case management on career development tasks and regular/ongoing follow up/check-ins with participant.
- Connect individual to the resources within the Career Center structure to support education, and training tied to the career path. As appropriate refer to population specific programs such as WIOA Title 1 Adult and Dislocated Workers, and various DTA programs. Maintain knowledge of all Career Center programs available for eligible jobseekers as well as programs of partner agencies and refer members to the appropriate program(s) to address needs.
- Once individual is employed, maintain contact with employer to ensure job stability and continue to support individual in career growth through additional training/education and as appropriate, referrals to new employment opportunities.
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with community groups, funding sources, and other workforce development agencies or community agencies to secure needed resources to help participants achieve goals.
- Perform extensive job development, working with the Business Services team, to secure permanent unsubsidized employment for program participants.
- Document all program services, activities and notes in MOSES. The Career Navigator will be required to complete training in MOSES and gain facility with its use.
- Must be able to meet monthly and quarterly goals/performance standards.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the Regional Administering Agency (RAA) staff through regular meetings, attending Family Self Sufficiency meetings, Section 8 briefings, leading orientation sessions to the partnership and other outreach and engagement efforts with the RAA.
- Attend quarterly learning community meetings with FSS Coordinators/RAA staff.
- Cross train with other team members to provide coverage as needed.
- Participate in Career Center and UMDI initiatives as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in employment coaching and/or vocational rehabilitation and case management.
- Experience with motivational coaching.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with all levels of internal staff and external clients and constituents. Excellent verbal and written English language communication skills.
- Experience working with a diverse caseload, strong cultural competency and sensitivity. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, socio-economic status, or disability.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to maintain detailed records on an automated and/or manual system.
- Valid driver’s License and reliable vehicle.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in other additional languages matching community need preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in the following areas preferred:
- Strong attention to detail, high levels of accuracy and organization, and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Ability to be discrete and act with an atmosphere of strict confidentiality.
- Multiple hours in a stationary position using office equipment and computers.
- Environment is a busy, collegial office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Some transporting of supplies up to 20 pounds.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a full time benefited position.
- Salary up to $42,500 per year.
- No relocation assistance provided
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- Potential candidates will not be contacted for interviews until after the posting closes.
- A skills test may be required.
- This position is funding by grants and/or contracts, and is contingent upon funding.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend