Associate VP & Deputy CIO
Job no: 504798
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UITS-General Assignment
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts (UMass) System Office is seeking an experienced, energetic, engaging and visionary leader who wants to become part of an exciting, vibrant community of information technology professionals supporting the institution's mission.
Information technology plays a vital and ever-expanding role in the institutional mission. The institution's information technology environment is highly distributed and diverse, with leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units. We are seeking a strong, knowledgeable leader to provide vision, strategy, broad-based planning, and hands-on responsibility as the Deputy CIO within the UMass System Office.
The Deputy CIO reports to the CIO, is a member of the UITS Executive Management Team (EMT) and serves a key role in university leadership, working closely within UITS and across the University, senior stakeholders and academic leadership.
In this role the incumbent has overall accountability for:
- Best-in-Class Operational Execution across the entire UITS project and services portfolio and to ensure they are aligned with the needs of the University.
- Digital Transformation through leading development and design of solutions for new digital capabilities in order to achieve highly usable and engaging end-to-end user experience and to support digital marketing needs.
- Increased Organizational Capability through IT workforce strategy and professional growth programs that focus on ongoing development of roles, skills, leadership capabilities and organizational structure.
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Best-in-Class Operational Execution
- Manage the complete UITS portfolio of services and oversee operational management activities.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to identify service improvement and innovation opportunities and oversee creation of service roadmaps.
- Work with stakeholders to continually optimize IT governance and decision-making processes as the business context and technology landscape changes.
- Ensure the portfolio of programs and projects are planned in alignment with the University and UITS strategic goals and implemented with best practice approaches for achieving desired outcomes.
- Direct and oversee the management of the IT budget process, costs, and resources for the IT organization.
- Work closely with the other members of the senior management team to align the services priorities with the business, technology, people and funding strategies of UITS.
- Provide day to day direction to UITS services teams.
- Oversee sourcing decisions and scalable vendor management processes and partners with the UMass Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) to lead IT procurement strategy.
- Digital Transformation
- Keep abreast of emerging digital and business trends and collaborate with other business leaders to embed digital opportunities in business strategy.
- Instill a human-centered design philosophy with an agile product management approach to deliver reliable, secure, accessible, modern, and user-friendly experiences and business capabilities to our stakeholders.
- Provide strategic leadership to define, socialize and implement best practices for user experience design, leveraging industry standards across UITS that achieves our digital value proposition.
- Ensure UITS evolves with changing industry trends, tools and technologies that deliver digital solutions with effective and inclusive outcomes.
- Drive adoption of CRM and digital applications by being a thought leader on industry solutions and acting as a trusted advisor to stakeholders.
- Support digital capabilities such as Salesforce, DropBox, Digital Signature, Document Imaging, Dell Boomi and other related platforms to modernize how work gets done in support of employee success, student experience, engagement and digital marketing and other enablers to the UMass mission.
- Ensure technology and design supports digital marketing capabilities and University web properties for promoting the UMass brand, enrollment, and constituent engagement.
- Increased Organizational Capability
- Oversee development of a strategic workforce plan and implementation to maximize current and future workforce effectiveness in alignment of strategic business priorities.
- Build next generation leaders and oversee training programs to develop digital skills of IT and business employees.
- Oversee creation of a compelling employment value proposition to attract and retain critical talent
- Contribute to University goals for talent development, diversity, and inclusion.
- Define and implement an optimal organizational structure that positions UITS to market and deliver services efficiently and cost effectively to customers.
- Lead the implementation of industry standards and development methodologies, including Agile and DevOps, to increase responsiveness and growth.
- Deputy CIO assumes Acting CIO duties when the CIO is unavailable.
- Responsible for metrics definition, creation, tracking and reporting in all 3 areas of Operations, Digital Transformation and Organizational Capacity.
- Other duties include special projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years of IT leadership experience including experience working with executive and board-level personnel
- Demonstrated computer proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Experienced in formulating, allocating and managing significant operational and capital budgets
- Strong operational service management knowledge and skills, and understanding of IT processes and end-to-end infrastructure components and architecture in medium to large enterprise environments
- Demonstrated experience in digital capabilities, organization development, service delivery, portfolio, and project management
- Basic knowledge of information security and privacy practices, cloud and hybrid data-center computing, and enterprise resource planning (ERP) functional use and deployment within a large organization
- A great sense of passion and urgency to achieve results and drive organizational and cultural change
- Master’s Degree
- Prior higher education or public service experience a significant plus
- Ability to develop strategic initiatives and oversee the development of long-term plans and proposals to support business objectives
- Demonstrated ability to consistently achieve both short-term results and long term objectives
- Experience developing strong productive partnerships and client relationships both informally and through formal governance processes
- Experience with organization transformation and maturing service management
- Excellent communication, mentorship and organizational development skills
- Extraordinary leadership skills in a complex environment. A significant part of this job is to work with technical and business leadership within the President’s Office and at the five UMass campuses to build strong partnerships and discover the most important needs in a very distributed eco-system
- Must be able to travel occasionally to all UMass campuses and the Boston Central Office
- Typical office environment
- Requires occasional hours on nights and weekends
- Salary Range - Up to $220,000.00
- Position is located in Shrewsbury, MA
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend