Job no: 504819
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UITS-Project Management Office
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
University Information Technology Services (UITS) of the University of Massachusetts System Office is seeking a Program Manager with a distinctive blend of business, IT, communication and consultative planning skills to enable successful achievement of strategic goals and desired business outcomes via proactive management of the entire lifecycle of multiple related projects comprising significant transformational programs for technology and business capabilities. Examples of UITS and UMass programs include: Digital transformation of the applicant and student experience; Cloud migration; Digital workplace transformation; CRM for Employee Success; Enterprise risk management; and Cybersecurity maturity and awareness.
The primary purpose of the Program Manager role is to lead, oversee and ensure the successful planning, delivery and management of programs and projects within scope, quality, time and cost constraints. Programs are highly dynamic and require adaptive change management and the ability to learn and develop subject matter expertise across business and technology domains for a given program focus area. The ideal candidate is a persuasive change agent with a growth mindset and possesses the following competencies: comfortable with complexity and effectively coordinates across many streams of activity; gains sponsor and stakeholder commitment by building trust through transparency and good judgment; encourages cooperation and compromise with competing priorities; and has a track record of setting challenging goals and demonstrates a strong drive for results.
The Program Manager reports to the Director of Portfolio and Project Management (PPM) and is a member of the Project Management Office (PMO.) The team collaborates with colleagues in UITS, all departments in UMass System Office, campus IT and functional stakeholders across all major areas of university operations.
- Act as a trusted advisor to business and technology stakeholders on problem framing, design thinking, solution consulting and research. Assist stakeholders with development of business cases, program and project proposals to inform decision making.
- Develop, schedule and communicate multiple related project plans as part of a larger program initiative including deliverables, phases, milestones, and tasks. Plans may be agile or waterfall depending on the program and project type. Modify program and project plans as needed to ensure successful outcomes.
- Lead resource management for assigned programs and projects including assignment of internal resources and recruitment of external resources. Coordinate external vendor contract competition, statement of work development, performance and billing management. Ensure program and project resources have clearly defined and well-understood roles and responsibilities tied to program and project success.
- Maintain executive sponsor engagement through relationship management, program performance reporting, scope management, and acting as a trusted advisor. Ensures appropriate governance functions for assigned programs in accordance with enterprise policies, practices and on behalf of the executive sponsor.
- Develop and implement program and project communication plans for a wide variety of system and campus stakeholders at all levels.
- Develop, implement, and maintain program artifacts for ongoing initiatives such as training, documentation, scorecards, health reports, and roadmap proposals.
- Develops and manages program budgets.
- Lead and motivate program and project team members throughout the program and project life cycle and collaborate with stakeholders to outline and adjust the work plan.
- Proactively anticipate and monitor for dependencies, collisions and issues across multiple related projects to ensure program health and delivery. Perform risk assessments and implement mitigation plans. Collaborate with stakeholders to resolve problems.
- Monitor and frequently report on program and project status, health, and key issues while ensuring information is easily understandable, actionable, supports effective decision making and builds trust with sponsors and stakeholders.
- Ensure program and project goals are accomplished and are aligned with business objectives.
- Contribute to and follow standards, best practices, and procedures for program and project management within UITS through continuous benchmarking and maturity assessment.
- As a member of the PMO contribute to a climate of teamwork. Support fellow PM’s by sharing knowledge and providing support as needed.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s in computer science, information systems, business administration or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 7 years of experience in project management across a diverse range of business and technology projects including developing schedules, estimates, budgets and work plans.
- 5 years of experience in program management, specifically managing multiple related projects as part of a larger complex program with significant business impact.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to develop and communicate the program objectives; effectively engage and manage upward with senior leadership; inspire and motivate stakeholders; and maintain alignment with the business strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to lead significant management of change initiatives by mobilizing others within and outside programs to support and enable changes resulting from programs and projects.
- Demonstrated experience in leading diverse cross-functional teams in both business and technology functions
- Demonstrated experience and ability in negotiation, influencing, conflict resolution, public speaking, facilitation, and other business interpersonal communication skills.
- Effective business writing skills for proposals, documentation, and stakeholder communications that promote understanding, enable effective decision making, and support program outcomes.
- Experience with at least two project or program management methodologies, such as: PMI, Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, etc.
- Experience with program planning and/or solution consulting
- Subject matter expertise and experience in at least one technical or business domain such as: Cybersecurity, Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery, Cloud Transformation, Digital Marketing and Student Experience/Success, Post-modern ERP Transformation, Digital Integration, CRM and Salesforce, Identity and Access Management, Enterprise Risk Management, and Digital Workplace Collaboration.
- Demonstrated sound judgment in handling sensitive and politically complex issues
- Demonstrated experience nurturing and connecting formal and informal professional networks across decentralized organization boundaries and leveraging connections to build program support
- Project management training and certification
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate others using empathy and knowledge of different work and communication styles
- Discipline in setting and managing customer expectations
- Demonstrated understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business
- Typical office environment.
- Periodic travel to campus sites and executive offices in downtown Boston.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend