About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
As the Center for Counseling & Psychological Health (CCPH) Lead Administrative Clerk, performs the following duties in varying percentages based on need: greets clients, enters client demographic and insurance information in Electronic Health Record (EHR) system, answers and appropriately sorts and allocates all incoming calls, enters and updates information in Center for Affordable Quality Healthcare (CAQH) clinician accounts, trains and supervises front desk staff. Supports CCPH Leadership team and program coordinators with administrative tasks and delegation of tasks to other administrative staff.
Works under the direction of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH) Office Supervisor, who assigns duties and reviews performance for efficiency and conformance with instructions.
- Greets and directs clients and/or other visitors. Interfaces compassionately and appropriately with the public in a busy office atmosphere regarding personal and sensitive health concerns. Recognizes emotional crises requiring immediate professional attention.
- Ensures accuracy of patient registration and insurance information by entering or updating data on the EHR system.
- Communicates professionally and appropriately with CCPH staff and campus partners as needed.
- Supports the CCPH Office Supervisor with hiring and training of front desk team members and collaborates on determining best practices and techniques for workflow, including delegation of responsibilities to front desk staff. Handles scheduling coverage for front desk as needed.
- Answers multiple-line telephone and refers calls appropriately. Is prepared to open and close office phone lines at beginning and end of day.
- Schedules immediate (triage) and other appointments. Records arrivals, cancellations, and instances of failure to keep appointments in EHR system.
- Receives cash, checks and credit card insurance co-payments and fee-for-service payments. Reconciles daily cash receipts.
- Act as liaison with UHS billing department and answers questions regarding behavioral health insurance coverage, release of information, confidentiality and office policy. Communicates with patients around collecting insurance information and pre-authorization procedures.
- Updates and enters information in CAQH clinician accounts for insurance credentialing and contracting. Provides support to the CCPH Office Supervisor with regard to initiating and completing insurance carrier applications for on boarding clinicians.
- Operates various office machines, i.e., PC, copying machine, and fax.
- Performs other clerical duties as required and provides front desk coverage as needed.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the CCPH Office Supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school graduate.
- Minimum 3 years office experience.
- Experience in medical or behavioral health setting.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience supervising employees.
- Previous experience with insurance credentialing and contracting is preferred.
- Working knowledge of business English, including punctuation and grammar, as well as simple mathematics.
- Working knowledge of general medical and/or behavioral health terminology.
- Working knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of the operation and application of office machines.
- Computer skills, including knowledge of data processing such as MS Word and Excel.
- Basic knowledge of behavioral health insurance credentialing, contracting and authorization procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and observe the principles and practices of confidentiality of medical records.
- Basic knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) practices.
- Professional oral and written communication skills, including telephone etiquette.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (list knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Working knowledge of EHR computer system.
- Working knowledge of insurance practices and service limitations.
- In depth knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance and applications.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical counseling and psychological health clinic. Sitting at a desk and phone use anywhere from 4-6 total hours per day. Intermittent depending on time of day and/or academic year. Possible lifting of heavy packages upon delivery to the department.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., 37.5 hours per week.
Grade 13 Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a cover letter, resume and contact information of three (3) professional references. Position may remain opened until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.