About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Director of Administration and Finance partners with the Chair in the overall administrative and operational management of the Department.
- Collaborate with the Chair in short and long-term strategic planning, special projects and initiatives. Provide strong leadership, and effective problem solving management of day to day administrative and operational functions in the Department. Serve on department committees as requested by the Chair. Develop and implement various administrative procedures to ensure efficiency, and that the goals of the department are met.
- Manage department budgets and provide counsel to the Chair on the current and projected financial status of the department. Supervise the department Accountant, and work collaboratively with the Chair and Accountant on budgetary planning, projections, and post grant award administration.
- Provide operational leadership by overseeing department facilities, space allocations and use.
- Provide supervision to the Personnel Manager. Maintain an understanding of the personnel process and department personnel priorities. Provide support to the Personnel Manager when needed and routine updates to the Chair on personnel matters.
- Collaborate with the Chair, Undergraduate Program Director, Graduate Program Director, Manager of Academic Programs and Graduate Program Manager and the Director of the Labor Center to plan resource allocations that meet curricular demands by managing teaching assignments and contracts for faculty, lecturers and graduate teaching assistants.
- Supervise Sociology staff including recruitment, selection, training, evaluation, and work assignment. Proactively address issues related to supporting a positive work environment for staff, such as workload, professional development and relationships with faculty and students.
- Serve in a back up role to other staff as required, ensuring smooth administration of the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with five years of managerial and/or project management work experience, OR Master's degree with three years of managerial and/or project management work experience.
- Excellent managerial, leadership, negotiation, and project management skills and ability to manage crisis or changing situations effectively.
- Excellent initiative and problem solving skills. Ability to make sound and mature decisions and to carry out assignments in an organized and timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to motivate and lead a team to facilitate collaborative projects, and to work cooperatively with staff, faculty, department chairs, and administrators.
- Experience with financial administration including developing and managing budgets.
- Superlative communication, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Ability to coordinate and work well with faculty and staff from different departments and colleges, and constituents from outside the University.
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications including Excel.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working in a Higher Education environment.
- Experience with human resources and financial administration.
- Experience with UMass systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
- Monday–Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- Work occasional nights and weekends as required.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter and names of three professional references. Review of applications will begin on March 30, 2020 until a suitable applicant pool has been found.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.