About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Instructional Technologist-LMS reports to the Manager and Senior Coordinator and is chiefly responsible for the operational and strategic oversight of the Learning Management System (LMS) and online instructional technologies in use within the UWW Division of Online Education (OE) eLearning unit. Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to identify and successfully implement technology solutions that support 24/7/365 enterprise online learning at UMass Amherst. Scope of work includes operations management, performance monitoring, data integrity assurance, service integrations, upgrades, migrations, communication planning, evaluating emerging technologies and applications. Expected to be a primary contributor to major projects that are closely aligned with the evolving strategic goals of academic and OE online initiatives – delivered on time and within scope.
- Manages a continuous schedule of online courseware and chiefly responsible for managing the demands of a large 20-30K online user population. Directs student information system integration, lecture capture solutions, 3rd party publisher content and systems, and synchronous tools. Tests and debugs LMSs to sustain system wide health and resolve any system outages. Maintains accuracy, stability, and security of course rostering and enrollment management. Monitors ticketing systems and helpdesk software.
- Responsible for managing and administering the LMS while being the main technical point of contact for installing, maintaining and supporting all integrations. Assist with customizing various systems including Blackboard to achieve the goals of OE and UMassOnline. Enforces standards for access and performs reviews of user privileges consistent with the institution’s security policies and terms of service level agreements.
- Designs and develops institutional content across a broad range of disciplines in an enterprise learning environment. Manages system redesigns and integrations with SPIRE and Blackboard. Develops programs and scripts to support future integrations. Provides leadership in planning, strategizing, and delivery of projects in a dynamic online campus production environment. Creates effective written materials and project documentation.
- Coordinate with external stakeholders when reporting, documenting, testing and implementing all software versioning and patches. Responsible for diagnosis, troubleshooting and implementation of solutions. Develop and document procedures for course, user, and data retention, administration of backup and restoration processes.
- Manage relationships between OE eLearning and external vendors. Work collaboratively with other University organizations (UMassOnline, UMass Amherst IT, User Services, Library staff, and academic departments) towards a goal of continuous improvement of service delivery and user experience.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Communication, Computer Science, Instructional Design, Educational Media, Educational Technology, or a related field plus two years of relevant experience.
- In-Depth technical knowledge of at least one online Learning Management System (LMS) used in higher education (e.g., Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, Desire2Learn or similar systems).
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and soft skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and/or with multiple constituencies in a culture of innovation.
- Must possess a customer-service driven, diplomatic and team-oriented approach.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Education, Communication, Computer Science, Instructional Design, Educational Media, Educational Technology, or a related field plus one year of relevant experience.
- Understanding of managed hosting environments and service providers.
- Knowledge of LTI specification and application integration.
- Familiarity with Atlassian Collaboration Tools (JIRA, Confluence, HipChat, etc.).
- Experience as a systems administrator with Blackboard LMS with technical project management and logistical planning experience.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
M-F, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., some nights and weekends required.
See PSU Level 26 (associated salary range to PSU Level 27) at:
PSU salary schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is an on-site position located on the UMass Amherst campus with remote work expectations to meet organizational needs. Please include with your application a cover letter, resume and contact names of three references. Review of applications will begin May 11, 2020.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.