Primary Work Location:
University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI), Program Management and Fiscal Operations (PMFO)
100 Venture Way, Suite 5, Hadley, MA 01035 an 333 South Street, Shrewsbury, MA 01545 d
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard full-time work schedule consisting of a 40 hour work week. Hours worked will be within normal business hours. Work performed may require a change in availability at specific times to accommodate for variations in work demands.
The University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI) is a public service, outreach, and economic development unit of the University of Massachusetts, providing government, business, and non-profit organizations with effective solutions in the areas of research, organizational development, training, and technical assistance through its 9 distinct business units. UMDI has a budget of approximately $23 million per year and employs approximately 130 full-time professional employees, and 50 part-time, seasonal, and graduate student employees.
UMDI’s Head Start National Center on Program Management and Fiscal Operations (PMFO) business unit, funded through the Federal Office of Head Start (OHS) National Training and Technical Assistance (T/TA) System, works closely with OHS to ensure that all Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) agencies have access to current, high-quality and evidence-based information, resources, and T/TA to support program management, leadership, governance and fiscal operations. The provision of these resources requires partnership with sub-recipients, consultants and vendors. Since the services are provided nationwide, much use is made of virtual technology.
The Administrative and Fiscal Support Specialist works directly with the Finance & Administration Manager and also provides support to the Technical and Project Manager as well as the PMFO and RPFI Teams. This position will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative tasks, and work directly under the supervision of the Finance & Administration Manager, providing financial support that includes preparing project burn reports, maintaining documentation for staff travel, consultant travel, and the proper allocation of project-related expenses. The Administrative and Fiscal Support Specialist will be a highly resourceful team-player, who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining flexible, proactive, and efficient. The individual must exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, utilize strong written and verbal communication, possess strong administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to balance multiple priorities.
The essential functions of the Administrative and Fiscal Support Specialist include, but are not limited to the following:
- Schedule and/or participate in regular PMFO virtual meetings via Adobe Connect, Zoom, and other technology, including managing logistical requirements and productions and distribution of materials before, during, and as follow-up.
- Provide organizational support, by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics.
- Provide historical reference by utilizing filing and retrieval systems; taking meeting minutes during weekly meetings; collates and distributes notes.
- Work with PMFO team to track and help drive completion of key deliverables and print requests; follow up on outstanding items.
- Utilize project support technology/software (e.g. SmartSheet, Slack) to:
- Track training program /event registration
- Track projects and deliverables
- Receive, forward and monitor requests for resource assistance from the PMFO info line and Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (ECLKC). Enter requests in the HeadSpin data tracking application and monitoring responses.
- Verify the accuracy of invoices for goods/services received.
- Coordinate activities, resources, and information and bring to the attention of the Technical and Project Manager any coordination issues, which cannot be resolved.
- Reconcile and perform quality assurance review of procard logs and charges. Ensures adherence to University procard policies and procedures.
- Assist with preparation of expense reports. Track and process reports for reimbursement in a timely manner. Conduct quality control of staff expense reports and provide feedback and additional training as needed.
- Work with the Finance & Administration Manager to maintain unit and project budgets, including review of allocation of expenditures, and burn reports.
- Prepare and submit journal entries and journal vouchers, as needed in support of the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Assemble reports by collecting and analyzing project information particularly as it relates to the closeout of the project.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Attend and provide administrative support for occasional on-site meetings in Washington, DC.
- Maintain customer confidence and discretion by keeping information confidential.
- Maintain all record keeping in accordance with requirements established by the Department of Health and Human Services and the University of Massachusetts.
- Actively participate in business unit and UMDI-wide initiatives as requested.
- Attend A&F Team meetings.
- Conduct other administrative and logistical tasks as needs are identified.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Associates Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or related field or equivalent work experiences in these areas.
- At least 2 years of experience demonstrating a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must have skills of adaptability for various competing demands, versatility with administrative tasks, and facilitation towards completion of project objectives.
- Must demonstrate professionalism, provide the highest level of customer/client service, and exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Must have the ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently, virtually, and in a team-based environment.
- Strong multitasking, organizational, analytical, writing, and communication skills.
- Time management and prioritization skills, and the ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field.
- 3 to 4 years of experience working in an office environment.
- The ability to maintain professional relationships with stakeholders, including staff, federal office, and external partners.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Multiple hours in stationary position using office equipment and computers.
- Environment is a busy, collegial office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Some travel is required, primarily within Massachusetts, or to Washington, DC for the annual Project meeting for all staff.
- The employee will be exposed to outside environmental conditions during travel times.
- Moving and transportation of supplies up to 20 pounds.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a full time benefited position.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts, and is contingent upon funding
- This position may be located in the UMDI Hadley or Shrewsbury Office.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- Potential candidates will not be contacted for interviews until after the posting closes.
- A skills test is required.
- Annual salary range up to $50,000.