Network Engineer I
Job no: 507769
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Engineering
Pay Grade: 30
Categories: Computer & Information Technology, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
Network Engineer I
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Network Engineering Manager, the Network Engineer I assists with technical specification evaluations and recommendations for the enterprise’s networks. This encompasses all areas of enterprise wide connectivity, both analog and digital, that will include system configuration, troubleshooting, security, and resource monitoring to support the University’s strategic plan.
- Assists in designing and building the University’s computing networks, including data center, wide and local area networks.
- Participates in the selection, integration and configuration of enterprise-wide computing and network resources.
- Assists with network management planning, budgetary requirement gathering and network architecture assessments.
- Helps prepare layouts and configurations as a normal part of project assignments.
- Supports network integration projects, systems analysis, detailed systems design, and vendor engagement.
- Improves customer satisfaction in reliability, availability, and cost of network service.
- Reviews work for compliance within the established guidelines of national and international standards organizations.
- Helps develop documentation to support recommendations.
- Makes recommendations continually on changes in hardware and network configuration to improve delivery of service, and recommends network technology vendor products and services.
- Informs management of potential network architecture/design problems before they occur and communicates solutions.
- Works closely with senior staff to provide testing, monitoring, and installation support of mainframe and network hardware as required.
- Prioritizes assigned work to accommodate Information Technology and customer needs while minimizing impact on current projects.
- Contributes to projects/committees that establish guidelines, set procedures, outline standards, and monitor for industry compliance.
- Assists in training and development of Information Technology personnel in direct support of Information Technology delivery of services.
- Works with all departments to make sure that their networks are secure, cost effective, maintainable, and add value to the business.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Associate's degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline with over 3 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks. -OR-
- At least 1 Advanced Network certification and 4 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks. -OR
- In lieu of certification, 5 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks.
- Formal education can be substituted with years of professional experience.
- Experience assisting network teams to solve routing problems in a multiple vendor, multiple customer, multi-site environment.
- Routing configuration experience, optimally advanced routing experience with L3VPN and EVPN.
- Ability to communicate effectively dealing with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Understanding of enterprise networking as it relates to Identity Management and AAA.
- Ability to work with peer engineers to implement and operate solutions.
- Advanced network certification is desirable.
- Knowledge of network monitoring tools is desirable.
- Optical network design and implementation experience.
- Experience with information security practices and tools including firewall, authentication and authorization.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office activities.
- Varies, 37.5 hours per week
- Some off- hour/weekend work will be required to respond to critical network problems and modifications. Personal beepers or cell phones may be provided for off-hour contact consistent with departmental policies.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach with your application, a resume, cover letter and contact information of three (3) professional references in order to ensure consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend