About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The CRM Technical Specialist plans and builds audiences and associated segments in support of mass communications at UMass Amherst. Reporting to the Director of CRM, the CRM Technical Specialist executes mass email and text message sends for various groups across campus. This requires a close attention to detail to ensure that all communications are best-in-class, on brand, and in compliance with all university, state, and federal guidelines.
This is a new role within the joint University Relations/IT Flagship360 team. This team has been assembled to implement UMass Amherst’s campus wide relationship management strategy, utilizing the Salesforce and Marketing Cloud platforms. It is important to note that this project does not just involve technology, but the people and processes involved in delivering mass communications. The Flagship360 team will be working with hundreds of users across campus over the next several years to implement this strategy.
- Building audiences (otherwise known as data extensions) within Marketing Cloud to suit the needs of communicators across campus.
- Building data extensions for UMass Amherst’s key audiences (students, faculty, staff, alumni, members of the public) requires careful consideration of different audience characteristics, a complete understanding of the University's Salesforce & Marketing Cloud data architecture and SPIRE, which serves as the system of record on campus. This role is critical to ensure that the message is delivered to the right recipient at the right time. Careful attention to audience lists and subscriber preferences (when a user opts in or opts out to receiving messages) is essential for complying to Federal CAN-SPAM guidelines and maintaining a healthy IP score for the UMass Amherst campus. (The IP score ensures that service providers like Google and Yahoo can assess whether or not emails sent makes it past spam filters).
- This role will work closely with members of the IT team who have a technical focus and understanding of Salesforce/Marketing Cloud. It will support the Director of CRM and the rest of the CRM team, as well as leadership across University Relations including External Relations and University Events, News Office, Mt. Ida leadership and government relations. This role will also offer assistance as needed to communicators across campus.
- Ensuring the associated sends are executed, which may involve troubleshooting errors in marketing cloud for various users. Various users across campus may not have the ability to directly send emails for quality assurance. The CRM Technical Specialist will double check audience selection and approve sends when needed. With assistance from other team members in University Relations and IT, this role will help users align with UMass Amherst’s communications policy, and maintain a healthy IP score for the campus.
- The CRM Technical Specialist is also responsible for reviewing and providing data and reports associated with sends, to members of the CRM team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelors degree in computer science, information systems, communications, or related degree.
- 1 year experience in a technical role regarding communications.
- 1 year experience working with a customer relationship management (CRM) platform/application.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong customer service and collaborative skills.
- Self-sufficiency and the ability to take direction.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Proficiency with Salesforce and Marketing Cloud/Exact Target
- Proficiency with Tableau
PSU Level: 26
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by May 24, 2021 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.