About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provide administrative support for the Institute of Social Science Research (ISSR) in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS).
- Manage ISSR budgets and financial processes, including fund transfers and revenue accounts.
- Prepare a variety of finance and budget reports relating to research and grant activity in ISSR, SBS and other social science research entities on campus.
- Process ISSR purchases, via Buyways or Procard, and maintain budget overview for these expenses. Process reimbursements for travel and other purchases as required. Advise Director and staff on a variety of laws, rules, procedures and regulations related to the financial functions.
- Maintain and update contact lists for communications.
- Work with the Program Assistant to disseminate promotional materials for events.
- Maintain and update website regularly.
- Schedule space, communicate with participating faculty, students and departments (answer questions and collect information), and liaise with and supervise catering services for events.
- Maintain event registrations and rosters and handle requests for Qualtrics accounts.
- Collect and organize information about use of ISSR services for annual reporting.
- Serve as Department time and attendance reporter, and prepare biweekly submission reports for Director.
- Serve as Netcom/IT representative, Travel Registry administrator and Physical Plant/Facilities liaison.
- Work collaboratively with ISSR’s Grants Manager to provide comprehensive assistance to the Director and staff.
- Assist the IT support technician with ISSR computer lab. Post relevant lab information and support participant needs for workshops or meetings.
- Regularly inventory department supplies and reorder as needed. Order office keys as needed.
Support other administrative or operational requests as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School Diploma and a minimum of three years full-time or equivalent part-time, OR Associates Degree plus one year full-time or equivalent part-time, work experience in an office setting.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Excellent organization skills; ability to prioritize workload effectively and efficiently and follow through assignments/projects to successful and timely completion.
- Ability to communicate in the English language (reading, writing, comprehension) including proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, word meaning and word usage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
- Flexibility to work with assertiveness and initiative and willingness to take on and complete a variety of tasks and projects in a timely, accurate and professional manner.
- Excellent computational skills. Ability to collect and interpret data and make recommendation.
- Excellent computer software knowledge for using databases, data management, spreadsheets including formulas, word processing.
- Ability to make solution driven sound decisions.
- Ability to prioritize and maintain administrative flow in a diverse and fast-paced research institute environment.
- Strong ability to establish rapport and maintain harmonious working relationships with others and among constituencies (students, faculty, department and college staff, central administration, etc.).
- Ability to effectively coordinate and collaborate with others in accomplishing assigned work objectives.
- Ability to create and maintain organized systems for data/record management.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information and to abide by relevant Federal laws (e.g. FERPA - Family Education Rights and Privacy Act).
- Ability to understand, explain and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to adjust to changing situations.
- Ability to travel across campus in order to deliver time sensitive documents when necessary.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working in a higher education environment preferred.
- Associate Degree in business administration or related field is preferred.
This position is in active research institute. The environment is often demanding, requiring flexibility, a high level of follow-through and teamwork to accomplish goals.
8:30 am - 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.