About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Serves as an information specialist in the Registrar’s Office, providing students, faculty, and staff with service relative to academic policies and procedures. Troubleshoots inquiries regarding transcript requests through Parchment and inquiries regarding conflicts in financial aid status through the National Student Clearinghouse. Prepares and organizes academic records for transfer evaluation staff to evaluate courses for transfer. We're hiring for two Clerk IV positions.
- Serves as customer service representative via phone, email and in-person for the Records and Registration area. Triages incoming calls. Answers questions using information from SPIRE, document imaging system, the National Student Clearinghouse and Parchment computer software services. Addresses complaints and verifies and releases student information according to federal and state law and established University guidelines. Includes basic training of users in enrollment and grading functions in SPIRE.
- Maintains records using our imaging system. Serves as primary reviewer of incoming transcripts. Routes transcripts to appropriate transfer evaluators based on information from SPIRE using workflow functionality.
- Verifies enrollment and graduation status and reports changes through the National Student Clearinghouse. Addresses other requests for information from subpoenas, government agencies (e.g. Homeland Security, FBI, etc.), and other external sources.
- Troubleshoots questions regarding the ordering of transcripts from Parchment transcript service and document imaging system. Orders and prepares transcripts for on-campus delivery and in-person pick-up.
- Responds to inquiries from students, faculty, and staff regarding academic policies and procedures. Provides general information regarding Registrar’s Office services.
- Performs data entry into student records for academic and billing purposes such as changes in major, course enrollment changes, and billing status changes.
- Coordinates the purchase of office supplies by monitoring inventory, managing requests from office staff, and submitting purchase requisitions. Arranges pick-up and drop-off schedule of confidential recycling bins with the Office of Waste Management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School Diploma or equivalent; a minimum of three years office experience.
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills in interacting with a diverse community of students, parents, faculty, staff, and the public. Ability to handle difficult customers with tact.
- Ability to work under pressure, maintain accuracy, follow through on detailed tasks, and meet deadlines in a busy environment while exercising sound judgement independently.
- Ability to understand, explain, and apply the laws, policies and procedures governing a Registrar's Office including FERPA. Ability to determine the proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
- Computing proficiency; experience with data entry and administrative software and applications. Working knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and math.
- Flexibility in approaching tasks; willingness to contribute efforts towards office-wide priorities and projects.
M-F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.