About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Maintenance Technician II installs, maintains, and repairs mechanical systems and system components, including but not limited to cooling tower, strainers, pumps, air handlers, exhaust systems, fume hoods, etc. Responsibilities include maintaining mechanical system, applying appropriate skills and methods as necessary in the areas of HVAC maintenance and repair, pump maintenance and repair, and air compressors and their related equipment. May assist other employees in the performance of their work. Performs related work as required.
- Maintains buildings and systems utilizing skills, methods, and tools of the trade to repair HVAC systems, pumps and compressors.
- Installs and performs preventive maintenance and repairs on heating, ventilating, air conditioning, pumps and compressor equipment. Maintains, rebuilds, and repairs worn or defective parts, lubricating motors and bearings, changing belts and filters, replacing damaged insulation. Maintains cleanliness of mechanical rooms.
- Performs minor plumbing, heating and electrical-related work not requiring a license.
- Performs related duties such as replacing bearings, belts, couplers, drain views, lubricating, greasing, etc.
- Erects ladders and scaffolding as needed to perform assigned work.
- Interprets and/or sketches layouts of work; estimates length of time, quantities of materials and labor need to complete jobs.
- Operates motor vehicle, on and off campus, as assigned.
- Responds to routine maintenance and emergency calls.
- Assist with reclaiming of refrigerant units.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the work place, and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the following construction and repair trades: HVAC, pumps, and compressors.
- Considerable knowledge of the tools, materials, methods and standard practices used in HVAC, pump, and compressor repair.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards, precautions and safety practices and procedures in the HVAC, pumps and compressor trades.
- General knowledge of plumbing and electrical principles and techniques.
- Mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity.
- Skill in the use of electric and non-electric hand tools.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction and to read and interpret documents such as plans, blueprints and drawings.
- Ability to make simple estimates of time and materials.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Physical stamina and endurance, ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others, to work as a team, and to interact with others with tact and respect.
- Skill and ability to reclaim refrigerant.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Three years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience and demonstrated competence in the HVAC, pumps and compressor trades. Substitution: A diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school, at the high school level or higher, with a major in HVAC, pumps or compressors may be substituted for a maximum of one year of required experience.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A valid Massachusetts Class D Driver’s License. Based on assignment, a valid Class B License or a valid CDL License with appropriate endorsements may be required. A current CFC license required
- This is a maintenance function which includes overtime, returning to work between shifts when directed or called.
- It is your responsibility to update the service desk with your current phone number.
Tuesday-Saturday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.