Student Services Specialist
Job no: 509278
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: CM -Undergraduate Program
Pay Grade: 30
Categories: Academic Advising & Learning Resources, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
The Student Services Specialist will provide retention related activities to the College of Management’s (CM) Undergraduate Program. The incumbent will coordinate activities and events for the Management Achievement Program (MAP), including but not limited to coordinating field trips to local businesses, concentration exploration events, career related events, professional mentoring programs, and designs networking activities to connect students with faculty and upperclassmen. The incumbent will work closely with student organizations and will support the Career Services Specialist in career and job related activities. The incumbent will also work with the Undergraduate Program Director to identify and work with students in academic jeopardy, as well as provide general advising to current as well as prospective students in the College of Management.
The College of Management at UMass Boston is looking for an academic advisor who is also committed to professional development among our students to join our team. We are Boston's public school with a larger, highly diverse, minority-majority campus. Our students come from around the globe and around Boston. Many are the first in their family to pursue a college degree and appreciate working with advisors who value their individual experiences. In the College of Management, we are dedicated in providing a strong business education foundation, as well as developing skills in our students that will benefit them in their professional pursuits long after graduation.
Examples of Duties:
- Develop and coordinate events and workshops to be delivered online and/or in person for the Management Achievement Program (MAP), including field trips to local businesses, concentration exploration events, career related programming and professional mentoring programs; design opportunities to network and connect with faculty, administration and upperclassmen; monitor programs in accordance with accreditation requirements;
- Advise students on MAP requirements and help students find creative means to complete MAP miles as necessary;
- Use current technology to support the MAP program and maintain student MAP records;
- Work with other staff members to present workshops on Professional Development, Career Preparation, and Academic Success Strategies;
- Work on selected projects with goals oriented toward student retention;
- Provide academic advising and related services to students in the College of Management (CM) and ensure services provided meet the needs of the students; work with prospective and current management students to help them meet academic and programmatic requirements for graduation;
- Assist students in course selection, degree completion, meeting Management Achievement Program (MAP) requirements, as well as understanding University and College policies as they pertain to academic progress; participate in orientation programs by assisting new CM students with making a smooth transition to campus;
- Supervise existing student organizations in the College and develops additional student organizations;
- Select, train, and supervise the College’s Ambassador Program;
- Select, train, and supervise the MASTer Program (Mentors for Academic Success Techniques) as they assist with MAP session presentations;
- Collaborate with advisors in the College and across campus to deliver presentations about academic and programmatic information to new students at University-wide orientation programs;
- Communicate with students by the distribution of news and information through e-mail and by using technology; contribute to the Undergraduate Program Office blog;
- Participate in all recruitment and yield events, including fall open house and spring welcome day as well as graduation related events such as commencement and convocation and other college events throughout the year;
- Ensure compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other state and federal regulations;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Master’s Degree and a minimum of two (2) years of providing direct student services in higher education required. A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of four (4) years of providing direct student services in higher education can be substituted for the required experience above. Some evening and occasional weekends may be required.
- Knowledge of current student development theory and research, including research about and development of learning communities and success initiatives;
- Understanding of professional development needs of business students;
- Proven ability to work with diverse populations;
- Ability to learn and comprehend the accreditation standards mandated by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB);
- Ability to utilize technology to promote access, efficiency and effectiveness of programs and services offered by the Student Success Center;
- Ability to use and understand student success data in advising;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.