Bike Shop Manager (part-time/temporary)
Job no: 509358
Work type: Staff Part Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Campus Recreation
Categories: Other Staff Positions
General Summary of Position:
UMass Lowell is a national research university committed to preparing students for work in the real world, solving real problems by providing an affordable, high-quality education. Located on a high-energy campus in the heart of a global community, the university offers more than 18,000 students bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
The Department of Campus Recreation at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is seeking a qualified candidate for the part time position of Bike Shop Manager for the Outdoor Center and Bike Shop. The Bike Shop is a full service bike shop offering new and used bike sales, bike rentals, service, parts and accessories as well as educational experiences. The Bike Shop is open to the university community as well as public. The bike shop also manages the operations and maintenance of the University’s Freewheelers bike share. This is a part time, approximately 20 hours per week position with 4-5 days a week on site required most weeks. The Bike Shop Manager reports directly to the Assistant Director of Outdoor and Bicycle Programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complies with all COVID – 19 protocols and enforces compliance of other staff, customers and participants interacting with the Outdoor Center and Bike Shop
- Create and maintain a safe and inclusive shop environment for all participants and staff
- Directly oversees bike shop and bike share operations
- Drives store performance through effective operations, marketing, outreach, data utilization and planning
- Serves as the shop head mechanic overseeing other mechanics to ensure quality, timely and effective work
- Shares responsibility for stock, ordering, receiving and inventory
- Serves as the primary customer point of contact for Bike Shop and Freewheelers program via phone and email
- Assists in facilitation of Outdoor Adventure program equipment rentals
- Assists in hiring, training and acts as the primary scheduler for student mechanics and bike shop staff
- Assists in delivery of bike related program serving as group ride and maintenance clinic instructor
- Insures adherence to operational, mechanical and risk management standards, policies and procedures
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Genuine interest in growing and improving the cycling culture on campus as well as in the City of Lowell
- Excellent communication, decision making, and ability to relate to a diverse student population
- Familiarity with current trends and practices within the bicycle retail and service industry
- Excellent knowledge of bicycle topics: retail, mechanics, components, safety, transportation, local riding, other
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including a significant amount of evenings and some weekends
- Ability to prioritize, delegate and multitask in a busy and dynamic environment
- Has a current driver’s license, a clean driving record and the ability to drive 12 passenger van with trailer
- Previous professional retail and bicycle service experience, 3+ years preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook various social media. Experience with Lightspeed retail preferred
- Park Tool School, United Bicycle Institute or other bicycle mechanic certification preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Compensation: $18/hour. Access to all bicycle program equipment and resources as well as generous employee discounts.
Flexible work schedule, most holidays off.
Position Timeline: Target start August 2021
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
This is a part-time, non-benefited position.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.