DIVISION: Human Resources
DEPARTMENT: Office of Human Resources
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Non-Unit Professional EEO STATUS: 3.1 JOB CODE: 062
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice Chancellor for Organizational Behavior
SUPERVISES: May supervise students and other HR staff as assigned.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The HR Business Associate is an integral member of the HR team. As a lead staff member, the HR Business Associate will provide direct support to the Human Resource Business Partners (HRBPs) in all HR activities including recruiting, employment, total compensation, employee relations, labor relations, training and development. Further, this position serves as a liaison to the assigned University Division(s) and is a resource and backup to other HR Staff. The HR Business Associate is expected to have access to and provide input regarding grievances, arbitrations and collective bargaining on behalf of the Administration.
As such, the incumbent is a confidential employee as defined in M.G. L. Chapter 150E, Section 1. The HR Business Associate is expected to maintain exceptionally high degrees of confidentiality, discretion and customer service in all matters related to this position.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serves as a key liaison for assigned University Division(s), the HRBPs and the HR Centers for Excellence to deliver efficient and effective HR services.
• As a lead staff member, assists in major projects related to Talent Acquisition, Benefits, Organizational Effectiveness, and Learning, among others, and takes the lead in coordinating the work of the HR Generalists and HR Assistants related to Human Resources functions.
• Provides a broad range of HR administrative support and guidance to the HRBPs and assigned University Division(s).
• Supports, assists and administers all activities related to recruitment and the selection process including, but not limited to, processing personnel actions, electronic requisitions, drafting correspondence, processing files, records and reports.
• May support the HRBPs in compensation and classification administration by generating queries, providing research and analysis, completing compensation related forms, reviewing and providing input for position descriptions etc.
• Provides guidance around employee relations and labor relations by assisting in research, data reporting, participating in investigations, grievance proceedings, and labor contract negotiations, among others.
• Provides ad hoc training particularly as it pertains to Performance Management, Campus Climate, HR software and systems such as applicant tracking systems, HRIS, to include cross-training for all HR functions, etc.
• Provides direct assistance and support to HR Centers of Excellence particularly around time-sensitive HR events and projects such as annual performance reviews, open-enrollment, annual service awards, etc.
• Conducts special Human Resources studies or projects by collecting information, conferring with internal and/or external stakeholders, analyzing data and making reports/recommendations as appropriate.
• Develops standard and ad hoc management reports for HR and senior management as needed.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline or equivalent combination of education, training and experience to successfully perform the essentials of the job.
EXPERIENCE: Five years of Human Resource experience.
OTHER: Travel may be required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work well with others and under tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to lead others in time-sensitive and complex projects.
• Excellent presentation skills; proficient in the use of PowerPoint; Excel, and Word.
• Ability to work independently, take initiative and exercise sound judgment.
• Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential matters.
• Ability to represent HR in a positive engaging manner.
• Ability to be a collaborative HR professional and team player.
• Ability to balance the needs of individual employees within the context of University policies, practices and operating principles.
• Ability to understand, interpret and explain complex documents such as policy and procedure manuals, federal and state laws, and collective bargaining agreements.
• Previous Human Resources experience in an institution of higher education
• Previous Human Resources experience in a unionized environment
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline to apply October 25, 2021.