Job no: 511031
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Project REACH
Pay Grade: 30
Categories: Professional Staff Union (PSU)
The Talent Search Program is a college and career readiness program that identifies and serves disadvantaged young people. Our goal is to encourage them to continue in, graduate from high school, and to enroll in programs of post-secondary education. High school and post-secondary dropouts are also encouraged to return to school and assisted in the process. The majority of services are provided at the students’ middle or high schools within a classroom or workshop setting. Students may also make appointments to meet with Talent Search staff at our UMass Boston campus office after school or during school vacations. The Educational Counselors provide outreach counseling to persons, including those with disabilities; and conduct workshops and training sessions for program participants, their parents, and community agencies.
Examples of Duties:
- Oversee the student recruitment process and service delivery for caseload of 250-300 students; work closely with teachers, guidance counselors and other school personnel and parents to recruit eligible students for the program
- Conduct workshops and training sessions to middle and high school grade participants, their parents and community agencies on a variety of topics, including: Financial Aid, Making a Successful Campus Visit, Choosing Academic Majors, Service Needs at the Postsecondary Level (Resource and Support at the Postsecondary Level), Developing and Maintaining Parental Involvement in your Child’s Education and Career Plans, Rights as an Individual with a Disability, Developing Strategies for the World of Work;
- Conduct individual and group counseling that aligns with the mission and goals of the program and partner school;
- Assist the Program Director and Associate Director in the planning, implementation and chaperoning of college visits and college fairs, including the annual TRIO Day trip (overnight); plan and chaperone cultural, career, and enrichment fieldtrips, some of which are overnight and/or weekend trips;
- Work with the rest of the Talent Search/Project REACH staff to develop enrichment and recreational programing, guest speakers, and workshops;
- Collaborate and work with community-based organizations/agencies to coordinate, design, and/or implement program activities and supporting of students;
- Develop and maintain effective liaison and communications with target schools serving middle and high school students;
- Provide outreach to students and parents/guardians to; share information about the program and supports provided, obtain documentation such as program application, to help students and parents with paperwork relating to the college application process (college application or Free Application for Federal Students Aid or CSS Profile, etc.);
- Collect and enter data related to areas of responsibility, and maintain integrity of program database containing all relevant student data on an ongoing basis;
- Prepare and submit activity, evaluation, and fiscal reports to the Director;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Education or a closely related field and a minimum of one-three years of experience within a primary, secondary school, post-secondary institution or community based organization, preferably in an urban primary or secondary school or higher education institution or community based organization servicing marginalized communities, is required[a1] . Demonstrated experience with academic and/or college counseling skills required. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with low-income, first generation urban students and their families strongly preferred. Demonstrated experience with multi-ethic, multi-racial population strongly preferred. Knowledge of and experience working with the Boston Public Schools or similar urban district preferred. Bilingual in Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, or Spanish, is preferred. Motor vehicle driver’s license required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the college and financial aid application processes and post-secondary placement;
- Knowledge of and experience with various software applications, including Microsoft Office and database management;
- Knowledge of and experience with social media channels, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn;
- Demonstrated experience with event planning, promotion and implementation;
- Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with university and/or school personnel;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently work in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish departmental and program goals;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Ability to supervise the work of work-study students;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals;
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Good judgment, discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position. This is a grant funded position with a current end date of August 31, 2025, subject to renewal contingent on funding and university needs.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend