Job no: 514497
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Health Services
Pay Grade: 32
Categories: Health & Medical Services, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
Under direction of the Director of General Medicine and health care providers (HCP), Registered Nurse provides nursing care utilizing the nursing process to the University of Massachusetts Boston campus community. The incumbent will be responsible for nursing duties including, but not limited to, triage, health assessment and assisting HCPs; provide proficient age specific and developmentally appropriate nursing care to college students; and administer immunizations and COVID testing for both the UMass Boston community and other designated non – UMass Boston guests as authorized by the University. Position is weekdays with no on-call.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide initial assessment, evaluation, and triage or treatment of minor episodic medical problems following departmental policy, scope of practice, and nursing process. Refer cases that require further medical intervention to the appropriate HCP.
- Coordinate and assess students and employees exposed to communicable disease and identify, direct and refer issues which require intervention by an HCP. Follow departmental infection control guidelines. Assist with surveillance of infectious disease and exposures including investigating the circumstances of the exposure, providing counseling to students and employees, and maintaining the necessary documentation and reports. Assist with COVID testing and contact tracing. Provide COVID testing at various campus sites, including drive- thru and residence halls.
- Coordinate medical surveillance programs to include PPD skin testing, influenza, COVID, and other immunization clinics. Participate in UHS immunization program.
- Provide support/participate in health promotion/disease prevention programs such as weight control clinics, smoking cessation, B/P clinics, health fairs and events.
- Respond in a timely manner to patient questions concerning treatment, medication, condition, and appropriate requests such as prescription refill, appointments, etc. Collaborate with HCPs on these issues.
- Participate in activities that improve the delivery of patient care including continuing education/training, research, quality improvement projects, committees and special projects as requested.
- Act as a resource to students, faculty, and staff according to the scope of practice.
- Assess the patient education process; identify strengths and weaknesses and make required changes/adjustments.
- Act as a liaison by representing staff, establishing relationships and communicating and collaborating with all department and/or institutional mission and goals.
- Maintain working knowledge of equipment and supplies. Maintain and stock exam rooms and COVID testing site supplies. Collaborate with the Administration & Finance Director for the ordering of supplies and pharmaceuticals.
- Adhere to policies & procedures of UHS.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
BSN from an accredited school of nursing with a current registered nurse licensure in the state of Massachusetts or license eligible is required. New graduates are welcomed to apply but a minimum of 1 years of ambulatory care experience is preferred. Experience with phlebotomy, immunizations, PPD skin testing and communicable disease exposures preferred. College health experience preferred. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize multiple tasks. Experience with Word and Excel preferred. Ability to have some flexibility with schedule.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status including booster. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.