About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs simple routine manual domestic, cooking, dish washing, cleaning and serving tasks required in a large food service operation; performs related work as required.
- Peels, chops, washes, cooks or otherwise prepares simple foods and dishes; secures food from storage place, makes coffee; operates kitchen equipment; loads food carts; transports food to serving areas; serves food to diners; assists higher rated employees in preparing of more complex dishes.
- Cleans facilities including equipment, food areas, furniture, floors, trays, food carts, pots and pans, utensils, or dishes, by such methods as scraping, hand or machine washing.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage placing it in designated containers.
- May operate a cash register in strict compliance with established procedures; keeps simple records such as meal counts and cash reports.
- Prepares a dining area for service by setting up tables, chairs and equipment; maintains an adequate supply of utensils and dinnerware; or fills and maintains beverage dispensing equipment.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Working knowledge of the approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment and for the handling and serving of food.
- Ability to cook a variety of simple meals and to use kitchen equipment.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions and establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Physical ability and stamina to perform the manual tasks assigned (stand for long periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects, work under varying climatic conditions).
- Willingness to work varied shifts and/or irregular hours (weekends, holidays, nights).
- Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, high temperatures and sharp instruments.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, reach, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Varies based on department needs; may include weekends and holidays.
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application and provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.