Storekeeper I (Blue Wall)
Job no: 516894
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Blue Wall Cafe
Pay Grade: 09
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs tasks involved in the receipt, storage, and transfer of goods into and out of the assigned area; maintains inventories and related records; performs related work as required. Orders or adjusts food orders as needed.
- Unpacks and examines incoming goods to verify quality, quantity and condition of goods for conformance to specifications including counting, weighing and/or sorting the incoming articles.
- Stores goods, supplies and equipment in appropriate storage containers.
- Marks identifying codes, figures or letters on articles and attaches tags to articles for identification purpose.
- Issues supplies, materials and equipment to users in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintains records and logs of items received, issued and shipped including description of articles, type and other identifying information in accordance with established procedures.
- Takes physical inventory of supplies and equipment to determine actual amounts on hand, to review and/or reconcile stock records and to detect spoilage, damage or variances in quantity.
- Performs related duties such as loading and unloading items to and from trucks; maintaining general appearance of stockroom; weighing materials and equipment; and moving materials to other locations using hand trucks.
- Operates motor vehicle to make deliveries on campus.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Valid Massachusetts Class D driver’s license.
- Knowledge of standard storekeeping methods and practices including receipt, storage, issuance and delivery of perishable goods.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make arithmetical computations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing the assigned area.
- Ability to work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Physical stamina and endurance necessary to perform physical labor in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. repeatedly.
- Must be able to stand for hours at a time.
- Must be comfortable working in walk in freezer and/or cooler.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Varies depending on dept. needs; may include weekends and holidays.
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete online application and provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend