About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Business Manager provides management and supervision for the administrative and technical support services of the department of Environmental Conservation. This position is responsible for financial, personnel, facilities, and programmatic activities that support the department's academic, research, and outreach missions. Exercises considerable initiative, leadership, and judgment in providing advice and guidance regarding policy and procedure within the University community. Serves as the chief departmental administrative officer and executive assistant to the Department Head. Acts as supervisory and administrative intermediary on behalf of the Department Head on all aspects and phases of administrative and academic activity, both within the Department as well as relative to the Department and the College of Natural Sciences (CNS).
Research within the department of Environmental Conservation revolves around 1.25-2.5 million dollars. The faculty includes 19 tenure track faculty, 14 lecturers, 27 research associates/post-docs, 3 majors, 783 undergraduate and 148 graduate students.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate's degree in business, accounting, or related field with five (5) years of relevant financial experience.
- Or Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, or related field with two (2) years of relevant financial experience.
- Or Bachelor's degree in any field with four (4) years of relevant financial experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of fiscal management principles, including budgetary/fund accounting procedures, demonstrated ability to forecast future budget needs, create annual departmental budgets and prepare periodic reports.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to lead, advise and train staff and to maintain absolute confidentiality.
- Demonstrated experience with grant and contract management, including ability to follow federal and private sponsor terms and conditions of proposal and award administration.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to coordinate complex projects and to function under time constraints and deadlines amid constant interruptions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Supervisory, management, and training skills necessary to coordinate the department's business activities.
- Knowledge of standard computer operating systems and proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, use of databases. Ability to utilize financial databases and systems to manipulate and analyze financial data for internal and external reporting, grant management, and management of various types of funds.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to organize multiple tasks and set priorities for action, take initiative, be creative, and operate with self-direction in a fast-paced office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of staff and students.
- Ability to organize and prioritize goals; ability to collaborate well to formulate plans and objectives in accordance with overall college goals; ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Standard business hours.
- Some night and weekend work required.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.