About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervises and participates in the set-up of dining rooms and serving areas; assists in the serving of food and beverage; delivers and services coffee breaks and meals; supervision of personnel assigned to the function; assist with maintaining records; trains and supervises student employees.
- Uses manual and mechanical food service equipment to supply product for the consumption of customers including coffee machines, heat lamps, Cres Cor cook and hold cabinets and ovens, etc.
- Supervises and assists in the cleaning and maintaining of equipment and work areas to maintain sanitation standards.
- Trains and supervises student employees in the assigned work area. May assist in the evaluation and scheduling of employees.
- Maintains records of meals served and other records pertaining to the operation of the assigned unit-captain report.
- Assist in resolution of customer complaints by providing substitute or additional service or product to maintain good customer relations.
- Sets up and adjusts dining rooms and serving areas to ensure compliance with department standards and customer specifications.
- Supervise staff during all aspects of catered events to ensure high quality service standards and presentations are met.
- Check in with client at the time of the event to coordinate event-specific details and special requests and develop plan to fulfill or exceed client’s expectations.
- Use information on function sheets to coordinate food and beverage services for scheduled events.
- Sets up dining rooms and food service areas according to department standards and customer requests to meet business requirements.
- Cleans food service equipment, dining areas and food preparation areas to maintain department standards for cleanliness.
- Wraps, covers, and stores leftover foods according to department policy to eliminate spoilage and waste.
- Serves food and beverages at special events and banquets to meet business requirements.
- Cuts or plates foods following department standards for portion control and sanitation.
- Assists in supervision of student employees performing general food service duties in support of catered functions.
- Maintain high sanitation and safety standards in all catering storage rooms and other catering areas.
- Delivers and sets up events for up to 30 customers. Supervises the event to ensure the event runs smoothly.
- Operates mechanical or power-driven equipment such as lift gate trucks, skid jacks and dollies to move material.
- Operates motor vehicles including light vehicles and trucks to move goods to and from the kitchen and other locations on and off campus.
- Maintaining the delivery vehicles; including cleanliness, regular preventative maintenance, as well as fueling vehicles.
- Performs manual labor in a stockroom, storeroom, or warehouse such as loading or unloading very heavy freight, unpacking and storing goods, filling requisition orders, weighing and packing materials, and cleaning and organizing the storeroom area.
- Takes inventories using standard forms and established procedures.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least two (2) year's of food service experience in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria or catering operation. A diploma or certificate from a trade, technical or vocational school with a major in culinary arts or food services may be substituted for the required service.
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment normally used in food handling and storage.
- Working knowledge of food service sanitation procedures.
- Working knowledge of food service equipment used in catered functions.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to supervise employees.
- Ability to provide oral and written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and make reports.
- Valid Driver’s license (Class D).
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, reach, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
- Catering requires employees to pack equipment and transport equipment around campus by walking or operating a motor vehicle.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Schedule varies based on events and department needs; may include nights, weekends and holidays.
- 40 hours per week.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and provide name and contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.