About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service operation including pot washing, dish washing, cleaning, serving food and cooking. Primary duties are to wash pots and pans and to assist with various other cleaning and cooking tasks as needed.
- Washes pots and pans using either manual or mechanical means.
- Cleans utensils and dishes by scraping and hand and machine washing.
- Cleans food service area equipment, counters, floors, food carts, trays and furniture.
- Peels, chops, washes and cooks foods for simple dishes.
- Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts, transports food to serving areas and serves food to diners.
- Assists other food services staff with the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Prepares coffee.
- Operates kitchen equipment.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage and places them in designated containers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Knowledge of the approved sanitary methods and procedures for the handling and serving of food.
- Ability to use kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability to cook a variety of simple meals and to assist in the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Ability and stamina to perform manual tasks including standing for long periods of time, lifting and carrying heavy objects, and working under conditions of seasonal high and low temperatures.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide training, work assignments and functional supervision to student employees.
- Ability to give oral and/or written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Ability to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures and sharp surfaces
- Ability to read and understand recipes.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, reach, sit, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Based on assignment, incumbents may be required to obtain certification as food handlers through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts.
- Schedule will vary based on department needs; may include weekends and holidays.
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application and provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.