Program Coordinator (Psychology)
Job no: 520575
Work type: Staff Part Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Pay Grade: 30
Categories: Professional Staff Union (PSU), Program Administration/Management
The Program Coordinator will serve the Departments of Psychology, within the College of Liberal Arts, in the administration of a graduate program and program spending. The incumbent will assist the Graduate Program Director of the Psychology Department’s Developmental and Brain Sciences (DBS) PhD Program with student recruitment, program marketing, student assistantship and other employment contracts, and program purchasing.
Examples of Duties:
- Prepare and manage the General Operating Fund for the DBS program; responsible for all program-related purchases, including purchases relevant to graduate program needs and manage all program procurements through the university ProCard; maintain ProCard log and reconcile all purchases; responsible for general advertising and recruitment expenses, as well as administrative and/or program forms as needed.
- Coordinate the recruitment and admissions process for new students; communicate with and coordinate advertising on national and international listservs and websites for organizations of relevance to interests to the expertise of program faculty; respond to student inquiries, distribute requested materials and assist students with questions about the application process; notify applicants of their admissions acceptance or rejection.
- Assist graduate students with all questions regarding program and university policies and procedures, having courses transferred/replaced/waived, administrative items needed for graduation, teaching assistantship requirements, and similar items.
- Schedule, organize logistics and advertise program activities related to admissions and student milestone events (research/dissertation presentations/defenses, and orientation); maintain graduate program alumni relations and correspondence.
- Prepare and manage, in consultation with the department’s graduate program directors (GPDs), all student stipend contracts in compliance with the graduate employee union and University policies; maintain program and student data and provide data upon request to GPDs for periodic and annual reports of program activity for departmental, college and university-wide distribution.
- Assist the GPDs and individual faculty with web page design, updating of content and general website maintenance.
- Prepare and maintain periodic and annual reports of program activity for distribution.
- Independently arrange critical student recruitment events at national conferences and organize student applicant interview days on campus; arrange for hotel and transportation needs of applicants as well as meeting and interview schedules and lunch and dinner arrangements for the group.
- Independently arrange annual orientation for new students, including introducing them to the program, department and campus; arrange for breakfast, lunch and orientation activities and events.
- Inform graduate students about planned course offerings within the DBS Program, as well as opportunities in related programs such as Biology; assist students with the guidelines and forms necessary to obtain credit for courses taken outside the department or University.
- Attend, record and keep minutes for monthly program meetings.
- Assemble evaluation surveys for all DBS courses and distribute to students to complete each semester; compile results, analyze data and create a summary sheet for the Department Chair and GPD to review; maintain a complete history of DBS course evaluations; upon request, provide specific evaluation results and comparison summaries for specific faculty for various needs.
- Oversee the qualifying exams process each year; collect all exams from students and assign them to faculty to grade; compile feedback from all faculty into one document per student and release grades and feedback to students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of professional work experience in an academic or equivalent departmental setting, which must have included one year of financial management experience, is required.
- Familiarity with and experience with internal grant submissions and human resources work is preferred.
- Familiarity and experience with regulations and submissions to the human-subject (IRB) and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and with environmental health and safety and human resources is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and advanced skill in the use of Microsoft Office, as well as other administrative systems including Google docs, Adobe Acrobat, and PeopleSoft.
- Ability to work independently and with other central administrative units of the college and university.
- Ability to understand and apply university policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare summary reports.
- Ability to be flexible and meet changing demands.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong financial management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact the ADA/504 Coordinator Andrea Haas or 617-287-5148.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend