About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Plan, conduct and evaluate educational workshops and training sessions with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligible youth and adults for SNAP-ED in the Worcester region, as detailed in the Annual SNAP-ED Program Plan. Work with the collaborating organizations in the delivery of programs at the assigned program sites. Assist project leader with project management, including budgeting, as assigned. Assist with applied scholarly or creative activity, or research as applicable. Prepare required plans and reports. Seek continued funding support for the program through collaboration with community organizations.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the SNAP-ED program in the Worcester region. Organize and teach educational workshops and training sessions for SNAP eligible youth and adults using research-based information.
- Participate in needs assessment, formulation of program objectives and design of delivery methods.
- Participate in overall program management, in determining staffing needs for program staff and/or volunteers and in recruiting and training staff and/or volunteers.
- Represent UMass Extension at the local level in matters of Extension policy and procedure, and with community groups in areas of nutrition, health promotion and disease prevention. Participate in the development of promotional materials.
- Participate in SNAP-ED teams and staff meetings. Participate in the development of local SNAP-ED plan.
- Maintain and increase personal and professional competence through participation in in-service training, professional association activities, and continuing education. With the assistance of the project leader, prepare and implement professional development plan.
- Conduct periodic evaluations of program effectiveness. Prepare and submit reports as required.
- Work actively to ensure that all programs are conducted in compliance with federal, state and University Affirmative Action policies.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative, and operate with self-direction.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree and one (1) year of related professional experience.
- Ability to maintain a diverse schedule of local, regional, and statewide activity which is not restricted by access to public or private transportation.
- Excellent interpersonal and group process skills; demonstrated ability to participate effectively in professional team efforts and with diverse groups of people.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to implement adult education theories and practices with diverse audiences.
- Ability to work independently to organize multiple tasks and set priorities for action in a fast-paced office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to organize and prioritize goals; ability to collaborate well to formulate plans and objectives in accordance with overall college goals; ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with computers.
- Ability to speak Spanish.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Requires the ability to push, pull, carry, and drive to various locations to transport nutrition education materials.
- Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week.
- This position is located in the Auburn, MA, office for the Nutrition Education Program.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. http://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.