About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This position operates with considerable independence to maintain the 24/7/365 Facilities Service Center. Primary responsibilities include core activities related to academic, administrative, and residential routine and emergency facilities management. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, initial contact for campus facilities questions and concerns, dispatching field personnel, entry and review of online service requests, emergency situational awareness and management, campus facilities emergency notifications, and card access monitoring and maintenance.
- Serves as the full-time primary contact for all campus facilities questions and concerns.
- Responsible for using independent thinking to evaluate all concerns received via phone or the online maintenance request system and determining and initiating the appropriate response. This may include the assignment of tasks for maintenance, custodial and contractor personnel, emergency procedures including escalation and call backs, and notification of affected students, faculty, and staff.
- Responds promptly to emergency situations with the coordination of facilities personnel response.
- Receives and relays maintenance trouble calls to personnel in the field, communicates request details to appropriate personnel and agencies including, Facilities & Campus Services, UMPD, Johnson Controls, Otis Elevator, Simplex and UMass EH&S.
- Responsible for off-hour access control. Utilizes procedure to verify identities and dispatch staff to grant access.
- Responsible for maintenance processing and monitoring in the card access system.
- Responsible for health and safety monitoring and coordination including confined space, EH+S F1, Watch Tour, and Fire Alarm response.
- Responsible for using independent judgement in the execution of campus-wide emergency communication and internal Facilities leadership communication via computerized notification system.
- Monitors building control system alarms (Metasys, etc.) and exercises independent judgement in notifying appropriate campus personnel of situations.
- Creates activity and analysis reports related to facilities maintenance activities via computerized maintenance management system CMMS) and through online service logs.
- Prepares and produces correspondence, reports, charts, graphs, forms, and financial data through use of computers and associated software.
- Collaborates in training new full-time staff on protocols, processes, and responsibilities.
- Serves as member of the Facilities and Campus Services Operational Services team to develop, review, and modify policies and procedures designed to enhance operational effectiveness.
- Works shifts as assigned, including weekends and holidays.
Performs related work as required; attends appropriate staff development and skills training sessions as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to speak, read, and write the English language in a clear and concise manner.
- At least one year of customer service experience.
- At least of year of office experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and ability to maintain relationships with customers. Must have the ability to foster and maintain harmonious relationships with others.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multi- task, think critically, and problem solve.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in responding promptly to emergency situations for the purpose of dispatching personnel, resolving urgent issues, and escalating to leadership team.
- Ability to understand and communicate work related repair and maintenance information.
- Ability to use sound judgement and discretion in the handling of confidential information.
- Ability to organize, plan, and complete work assignments with minimal direction.
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse populations.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, online file storage.
- Ability to work independently.
- Willingness to accept new projects or tasks.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Work is performed in a typical office environment.
- This position is classified as essential for all University emergency closings.
- Works shifts as assigned, including off-shift, weekends, and holidays as necessary to support a 24/7/365 operation.
Qualifications Acquired on the Job
- Knowledge and skills in personal computer use including the use of complex spreadsheets, database software/hardware and equipment.
- Supervisory skills.
- Knowledge of University and Facilities & Campus Services policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Knowledge of the operation of a large educational facilities program.
- Facilities maintenance terminology and practices.
- Thursday - Monday.
- 11:00pm - 7:00am.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Please complete the application in full and provide a resume and cover letter. Three professional references will be required.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.