About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Enrollment Management Business Manager reports directly to the Vice Provost of Enrollment Management and provides administrative support to more than 70 full time staff. This position is responsible for overseeing and managing a broad range of functional areas including: finance and budget, human resources, data analytics, business performance metrics, organizational operations, and space management. This individual will work closely with all members of the Enrollment Management leadership team.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate departmental policies and procedures to ensure compliance with University rules and procedures.
- Analyze, interpret, and forecast annual budget funds and expenditures to maximize efficiency of available funding through the use of Summit and PeopleSoft Financials software. Recommend annual administrative budgets for reporting units within the division of Enrollment Management. Process budget transfers and prepare budgetary planning data to upload to UMass Plan software.
- Analyze regional recruitment efforts and make cost/benefit recommendations to the Vice Provost.
- Review vendor bids/proposals, terms and conditions, prepare contracts for services.
- Oversee the preparation of purchase requisitions, invoice payments, Bank Card reallocations and travel reimbursement preparation (both domestic and international).
- Act as point of contact for Common Application by monitoring revenue, cash deposits, refunds and fees. Prepare and submit journal entries to post appropriate financial transactions.
- Administer special cross-departmental administrative projects (e.g., work space reallocation, inter-office personnel transfers, building/contents/facilities maintenance and upgrades, and storage arrangements).
- Represent Enrollment Management at the Provost’s Office Chief Financial Officer team meetings.
- Prepare budgetary reports and analysis as requested by Vice Provost.
- Work with Talent Management to develop recruitment strategies and identify ways to strengthen applicant pools. Manage the requisition, offer, onboarding and staff separation processes. Provide search committee members with guidance and training on relevant recruitment processes including support of PageUp software. Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations as well as University search procedures.
- Provide recommendations to the Vice Provost to manage current and projected personnel/staffing needs as well as staff recruiting strategies.
- Advise Enrollment Management leadership on all salary classification and compensation policies, guidelines, and procedures. Understand and advise leadership team on collective bargaining agreement policies.
- Counsel supervisors on ways to identify, address and facilitate solutions for employee issues. Advise managers on annual and off-cycle performance evaluations and following the progressive discipline process.
- Coordinate due process hearings and work with Labor Relations, union representatives, managers, and employees to resolve issues.
- Advise leadership team on federal and state Family Medical Leave Acts and ensure compliance.
- Train and support leadership team on staff time reporting and approval, compliance with campus compensatory time guidelines and maintain necessary security access and roles for Human Resource workflow.
- Review all personnel paperwork such as requisitions, search records, offer and acceptance forms, personnel action forms, reappointments of seasonal temporary staff, leaves, etc. in accordance with established campus policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with Provost Office administrative leadership and central Human Resources. Serve as the functional liaison between these offices and the division of Enrollment Management for all personnel-related matters.
- Work to create a diverse and inclusive workplace for staff and students. Ensure that all personnel practices are valid and reliable, and do not have adverse impact on underrepresented groups.
Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's Degree and 5 years of experience in a related financial or human resources position.
- Ability to:
- Create, analyze, and monitor budgets, prepare reports/financial statements and develop creative financial management systems tailored to specific needs.
- Work independently and with multiple constituencies.
- Carry significant responsibility, make decisions and work well in a public service environment.
- Functional understanding of:
- Generally accepted accounting and financial principles.
- Commonwealth or municipal purchasing/procurement and cash handling policies.
- Strong interest and experience in finance and use of business intelligence analytics.
- Ability to oversee and manage general administrative functions in a multi-faceted organization including human resource management and office operations.
- Highly computer literate including current and emerging networked data systems, software applications, database programming, and data retrieval for financial applications.
- Excellent organizational, communication and analytical thinking skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Human Resource Management or related field.
- Related work experience in higher education.
- Experience with banking, management of public funds, cost/profit centers, fee-for-service enterprises and eCommerce.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft software systems.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
This position has the opportunity for a remote work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where the employee’s work location is to work from a site other than the UMass Amherst campus. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.